My bête noire.....Gimp

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby catgate » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Marvellous! Wonderful! and so easy....when you know what you are doing.
Thank you for your help, Ram.
At first glance all seems to be as it should be, and was until a few months ago.
I shall have to give it a exercise gallop, after tea, and I shall report back.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Glad to hear.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 am

Reporting back.

Gimp itself now seems to be back to what 2.6.xx was before it morphed into 2.7.?? Thanks to your help. Ram.

One thing that has not changed back however, is the nonsense with the scanning in of images from my EpsonDX5050. This problem seemed to arise when the the change to 2.7.xx mysteriously occured.

The problem here is that when I try to scan in an image it will scan in only a small part of it, and trying to alter the size of the scan area is as fruitful as trying to poke smoke up a cats bum with a pin.

I can scan full pages with no trouble using other applications (e.g. Open Office,Simple Scan) but Gimp will no longer do it.

SPM shows that I have
sane 1.0.14-9
sane-utils 1.0.20-13
xsane 0.996-2
xsanecommon 0.996-2
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Not sure I can help with this one.

I don't have ' sane 1.0.14-9 ' installed the rest I do.

I also have 'Simple Scan' installed, this was used as (x)sane kept crashing with my then HP Scanjet C530.

I have a HP All in one now using HPLIP drivers and for scanning it uses xsane 0.996

In the xsane window what size does it show, mine says 20.32cm * 29.46 cm

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Ram wrote:Not sure I can help with this one.

In the xsane window what size does it show, mine says 20.32cm * 29.46 cm

Mine says 6.51cm x 10.04cm. and I do not seem to be able to alter it in the dialogue box.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 pm

I don't have the ability to alter mine either. Maybe it pick up the info from your printer.

You could try this.

rename the .sane folder in your home directory.

Test scanning

if it fixes the issue job done, if not delete the newly created .sane folder rename the old one back to .sane.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I presume you mean rename it "doris", or something, just to hide it, and force Gimp to find its own inspiration?
I have had a firtle through the files in the .sane folder and can not find the dimensions 6.51cm x 10.04cm anywhere.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm

The dimensions may well be stored in a different unit, like pixels or perches, and converted to cm when displayed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 pm

catgate wrote:I presume you mean rename it "doris", or something, just to hide it, and force Gimp to find its own inspiration?
I have had a firtle through the files in the .sane folder and can not find the dimensions 6.51cm x 10.04cm anywhere.

Yes I do... I couldn't see my size either but as nelz said it could be held as a different unit hence the reason to just rename it.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 pm

In xsane use the Window menu and make sure the preview window is showing. At the bottom of that there will be an Acquire preview button which will do a fast pre-scan and then let you choose the size of the scan that is done by resizing the scan area with the dotted lines.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Thank you all for your help.
I have just had a quick poke at the beast and following aj.'s instruction I was able to change the scan size back to the size it previously was.

If ever there was a result that justified the existence of this site and proved the worth of its contributors more, then I will plait sawdust.
Again, thank you.

ps. I hope I am not back again with Gimp again. I sincerely hope it has been tamed. As the cat said, when it defecated behind the door, "That remains to be seen."
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

catgate wrote:Thank you all for your help.
I have just had a quick poke at the beast and following aj.'s instruction I was able to change the scan size back to the size it previously was.

If ever there was a result that justified the existence of this site and proved the worth of its contributors more, then I will plait sawdust.
Again, thank you.

ps. I hope I am not back again with Gimp again. I sincerely hope it has been tamed. As the cat said, when it defecated behind the door, "That remains to be seen."

I'm glad you got it sorted!

Sorry about the cat though,; I've got a new puppy that tends in a similar direction with its "waste".
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Help!