preupgrade fedora 15 to 16 x server not working

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

preupgrade fedora 15 to 16 x server not working

Postby pk_fox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi All, I just upgraded fro Fedora 15 -> 16 using preupgrade, my problem is when trying to boot, the blue screen with whatever that progress icon is that gradually fills with colour appears ok and appears to be doing it's stuff ( hard disk light flashing away and I get the Fedora F in the circle ) - then I get a black screen - no error - just nothing. If I boot to Recovery I arrive at a command prompt ok - no logon just at the prompt as root#. If I then type startx I get the same behaviour as mentioned above i.e. "Lot's of nothing happens" any ideas ? My machine is an old Dell Optiplex 170 which has run all flavours of Fedora for years without a problem.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby Hammeh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:44 pm

I would have a look at
http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/2 ... eboot-with

Hope this fixes your issues.
Peter
Hammeh

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:44 am

Hammeh wrote:I would have a look at
http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/2 ... eboot-with

Hope this fixes your issues.
Peter

Hi there, thanks for the link, however my problem is post install and I've never installed proprietary drivers.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:08 am

pk_fox wrote:
Hi there, thanks for the link, however my problem is post install and I've never installed proprietary drivers.

I would think you're much more likely to find the solution to your problem over on the fedora project forums than on here though, so worth looking around on there and if your particular problem hasn't already been discussed the ask about it.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby pk_fox » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 am

MartyBartfast wrote:
pk_fox wrote:

I would think you're much more likely to find the solution to your problem over on the fedora project forums than on here though, so worth looking around on there and if your particular problem hasn't already been discussed the ask about it.

Maybe you're right - thanks a lot will give it a shot.
pk_fox
LXF regular

Return to Help!