SUSE 9.3 Printer driver Cannon i560

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SUSE 9.3 Printer driver Cannon i560

Postby ellip » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Where do you get the correct printer driver for the Cannon i560. I am use a different printer driver from the list, but it print out the wrong size.
ellip

RE: SUSE 9.3 Printer driver Cannon i560

Postby MachuMan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:57 pm

is it a pixima?
As i have just got a ip1500 and its proving problematic. Canon Japan have provided some pixima 'drivers'. Go to linuxprinting.org and search the forums
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Postby ollie » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:18 am

Canon aren't known for very good Linux drivers or support ... if they even acknowledge there is something other than Windows and OS X. I really can't understand why the problem with the support for OS X, it's basically using CUPS and I'm sure the PPD wouldn't need much editing to work on any *nix/BSD system.

Hope you can sort this out, the new Pixma 3000 looks good for printing CD/DVD titles. :)
ollie

Postby alloydog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:06 pm

There are a lot of drivers on the Canon New Zealand site, a quick check showed no Linux one listed for the i560, however, the I'm sure the one for the i250, which worked straight away with SuSE 9.1 for me, was a generic colour bubblejet one:
http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printer ... ivers.html

The page for the i560 with the OS X is here:
http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printer ... ivers.html

I whole list of linux drivers of Canon stuff can be found here:
http://www.canon.co.nz/search/search.as ... submit.y=0
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby hungrybuffalo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:54 am

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same issue for the last couple of hours. So far I have three answers:

1. define yor printer as a BJ8200 or BJ7004 within the Printer setpu of YaST. These work OK (ish) for text, although I have had some problems printing out graphics.

2. Buy the Turboprint software from www.turboprint.de. This supposedly gives you most of the functionality of the printer, but costs around 30 Euro. For me it's easier to re-boot to the Dark Side for photo printing etc ...

3. Canon Japan provide drivers for the i560. These can be found at: ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/ The only problem is that I have yet to be able to get these to work (they install OK but nothing comes out of the printer..). If I get any further, or anyone else can add anything, then I will update this thread.

Rgds,
hb
hungrybuffalo

Re: RE: SUSE 9.3 Printer driver Cannon i560

Postby MachuMan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:18 pm

hungrybuffalo wrote: The only problem is that I have yet to be able to get these to work (they install OK but nothing comes out of the printer..).
hb

Thats exactly the problem i have had for a couple of months and i've not found a solution yet
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Postby Brandfuchs » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:03 pm

A friend of mine also has an i560 with SuSE 9.3, but I did not get to check out his computer yet to practically work on the problem.
Whilst searching for informations on the matter online, I found this thread, and also learned that, supposedly, the driver for the Canon s800 runs fairly well with the i560. I could not test that yet as said, but maybe it'll work for you, which would be good for me to know before I am at my friend's place again, too.

Greetings,

-Brandfuchs
Brandfuchs

Postby overflow » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:05 pm

A good place to start looking when getting a printer working on Linux is http://www.linuxprinting.org/.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby ssweet » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:45 pm

I went to the CUPS website and didn't find anything for Canon drivers.

Found a link for ESP Print Pro http://www.easysw.com/printpro/ which said it supports over 5300 printer drivers, but got this when I went looking for the Canon i560 driver....

Unsupported Canon i560

We are currently unable to provide support for your Canon i560 due to a lack of information and support from Canon.

If you would like to help us convince Canon that Linux/UNIX is a viable market for their products, please send a politely worded letter to Canon (webmaster@canon.com for EMail; see their web site for mailing addresses and phone numbers) asking for support on your favorite operating system:

Dear Canon:

I purchased a Canon i560 printer for my computer. Unfortunately, it appears that you do not support my operating system of choice - Linux.

I kindly ask that Canon develop drivers for Linux or provide information to third parties such as Easy Software Products (http://www.easysw.com/) so that they can develop the drivers. Linux is a very popular operating system and I think you will find that supporting Linux will noticeably increase your market share.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Jane Doe

This sounds like a good idea.
ssweet

Postby towy71 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:47 am

I purchased a copy of Turboprint and my i560 works absolutely fine using it

HTH

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ssweet » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Towy71,

I'm glad you found a driver for the Canon i560. When you say fine, do you mean it could be better? I don't think Linux users should keep settling for less than full functionality. As consumers why should we let the manufacturers push us around.
ssweet

Postby ssweet » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:05 pm

I forgot to add...

But if the printer works at all, it's better than nothing.
ssweet

Return to Hardware