Mandrake update

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandrake update

Postby firefox » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:40 pm

I have Mandrake 10.1 Community and my Updates no longer work. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if it is connected to the change to Mandriva.

When I click on Updates from the Control Center Mandrake retrieves a list of mirrors. None of these seem to work, it says "Please wait, updating media" but then says "Error retrieving packages" suggesting that either my media is configured incorrectly or that I should try connecting again later.
firefox

RE: Mandrake update

Postby jake » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:53 pm

Update your installation to Mandrake 10.1 Official then regular updates are available.
......religious doctrines constitute a speculative
hypothesis of an extremely low order of probability.
-- Sidney Hook
jake

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:08 pm

Upgrade you mean surely ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:50 pm

That is a matter of opinion

Postby towy71 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 am

oooooh! handbags at dawn :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:55 am

I'm pretty sure that mandrake only supports community releases until the next release appears, but the official versions of the same releases are supported longer....
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I like that policy for updates to the community edition, I think I may make a switch to another distro.

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:35 am

Part of the reason for the Community Edition is to provide extra testing before the Official release. So there's no point in having people still run the outdated version. CE is for people who want the latest and aren't prepared to wait, so why would anyone want to run an old CE?

Either switch to 10.1 Official, which has been available for a long time now, or 10.2.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Ahh, sorry, I was under the impression CE was the free edition and that Official was the paid-for edition.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:47 pm

If you insist, I am sure Mandra ... (whatever) will take your cash, however, if you are a member of the Man... (!@##) you can essentially update into what was to have been 10.2 Community version. It is unclear to me how this will be supported, since the "Offical" version is versioned by year and its appearance is only yearly.

I am uncertain the degree of access one has not being a member, because I am both a member and on their mailing list. I assume, however, one's access is just delayed not forbidden.

I had a hard time logging on to their site today, because I forgot they had us change our user names to an alias. I had hoped that what was that happened here when I could not log on.

Return to Help!