KDE Distro

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KDE Distro

Postby linux_dan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi All,

I want to give a KDE distro a go....

What would you recommend? I have been messing with linux (Mint, Ubuntu) on and off for a while just mainly using it for web surfing but really want to start learning more in depth!

I tried Linux Mint 12 KDE tonight but this felt really buggy.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Dan
linux_dan

Postby johnhudson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 pm

openSUSE - the openSUSE download page also lists derivatives including a more up-to-date version of KDE than the default.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby geekybodhi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 pm

If you are still looking for a KDE distro, try the latest release of Chakra Linux (http://chakra-project.org/).

It's based on Arch Linux (no no, don't run away scared) and the latest release doesn't have a graphical package manager (no really, come back, stay with me).

The distro is the slickest that I have seen off late. If you are a purist you'd appreciate its default boot option that only loads free drivers. But since you are a new user I guess you'd prefer the other boot option which loads proprietary drivers. It works flawlessly on the laptop that I use for most of the reviews and articles (with AMD graphics, Atheros WiFi, Cando touchscreen).

And its lack of graphical package management is a bitter sweet thing (especially for you). Since you want to "learn" you can use Arch's pacman CLI package manager to get a grip on things. That said it's got a "Bundle Manager" tool that'll fetch and install popular apps such as Firefox, Thunderbird, FileZilla, Eclipse, GIMP, MySQL Workbench, with the press of a button.
geekybodhi

Postby heiowge » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm using Linux Mint 12 (standard MGSE edition), with KDE installed over it. No problems. Works fine.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Mepis

Postby Nuke » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I have been using OpenSuse for a while but it is a bit fussy about proprietary drivers. That is, it will install a open source driver even when a better proprietary one is available.

You may agree with that, but I lost patience with my latest update of Suse when trying to re-install a driver from NVidia was a complete foul-up, and judging by the OpenSuse forums I am not the only one with the problem.

So I am currently trying Mepis (11.0), who's motto is "It just works". It tends to be touted as a beginners distro, which has put me off, and indeed some aspects of it are a bit too simple for what I am used to. Eg the install tends to put most stuff in one partition, but I can sort that out later.

But as they say, everything just worked. It even put in the right printer driver - goodness knows how as the printer is across a network and switched off at the time.

A huge time saving compared with Suse [and see interesting discussion right now at at http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14740].

I always prefer a distro where KDE is its native desktop. You can put KDE on Mint, Ubuntu etc but I feel that a native KDE distro will have given it more tlc.
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Discussion