LXFDVD153DB - Incomplete Qt Creator ?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXFDVD153DB - Incomplete Qt Creator ?

Postby stuarte9 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi,

First let me start by saying that I am using openSUSE12.1 installed from the LXF153DB disc. Now onto the main topic.

It would seem that Qt Creator included on the disc is incomplete.

To learn how to use this tool I started working through the included "Creating a Qt Quick Application" tutorial, which develops a small single window demo app.

Under the heading "Creating the Main View" it states the following.

"To use the states.png image in your application, you must copy it to the project directory (same subdirectory as the QML file) from the examples directory in the Qt installation directory. For example: C:\QtSDK\Examples\4.7\declarative\animation\states. The image appears in the Resources pane. You can also use any other image or a QML element, instead."

I used the "Find Files/Folders" tool to search the whole of my system drive for this file, with no success. I therefore elected to use "Button.png" from a QML directory.

At step 6 in the tutorial on printed page 5 it states the following.

"In the Library view, items tab, select Rectangle, drag and drop it to the canvas, and edit its properties."

The accompanying screenshot (in the tutorial) shows several items on this tab. However, on opening this tab I find that the items shown in the screenshot are missing from the Items tab on my screen. This has stopped me in my tracks, as far as learning to use what the screenshots imply is an excellent tool

Does anyone know how this can be fixed ?
Is there a website from which the missing items can be downloaded ?
If so, into which folder(s) on my system drive do I load these files ?

As Qt Creator is such a large app, perhaps things of this size should only be included on a disc that has only one or two of the small distros, so that the whole of the app can be included/supplied. Just a suggestion. After all, a hammer shaft without the head is of limited use. javascript:emoticon(':?')

Thanks in advance for any help that may be supplied.

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby lok1950 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 pm

C:\QtSDK\Examples\4.7\declarative\animation\states.

That is a Windoze idiom and not where you would find it under any Linux system so the documentation is windows centered check the SUSE repo and see if you are missing any Qt dev rpm's especially the one listed as part of Qt Creator.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs