Ubuntu Rocks!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:39 pm

TheLiquidator

I've only looked at Kubuntu in the sense that I installed Ubuntu and then got KDE with apt (something like apt get kubuntu desktop??). And I thought it was okay, but then it is quite hard to find a Linux distro which has nothing to recommend it nowadays.

I can't say have noticed MCC being especially slow (but then it is an old computer anyway, so I expect it to be slow), nor have I tried kooka on Mandriva, as my scanner is attached to a SuSE box and I prefer Xsane (don't know if it works with OCR as I mostly use it for scanning photos).

Where Mandriva 2006 has worked best for me is in updating, the GUI version of update actually works! With 2005LE I frequently found that it would report that package signatures had failed, but this was because only the file headers, not the complete packages had been downloaded. Also KDE start-up, while not quick anyway, would often hang for unreasonable amounts of time, this is not a problem I have had with 2006.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wumessiah » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 pm

Guys, I have to say as a newbie to Linux Ubuntu absolutely rocks. In just a few short days (2 to be precise) I have managed to get all my wireless gear on my laptop working, sound is awesome and have managed to actually get applications to launch via WINE. Not only that, but I have even managed to get VMWARE for Linux working on version 5.10 (but not without my fair share of drama!) Nevertheless, I feel like Darth Vader at the very end when he decides to leave evil for the sake of humanity. I have a suspicious feeling even Bill Gates uses this instead of Windows at home! I will say this though, perhaps the next major project for Ubuntu should be to include a system tool such as YAST2 in SUSE which is a central point for everything configurable (just for Newbies like me who need simplicity). This weekend I format the server and officially remove all windows from home - wish me luck!
wumessiah

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:48 pm

Oh alright then, luck!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Previous

Return to Discussion