(Web) Hosting recommendations?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

(Web) Hosting recommendations?

Postby JS » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Basically, what do people recommend for a good value (web|email|etc.) hosting solution?

Outline:
I'm planning on creating a website (or three) and am looking mainly for good value for money; fairly decent quality (not so much tech support, I enjoy a challenge :-)) and typical LAMP-type features. One site will be a "personal" site (blog, links, maybe photos etc.) and the other site(s?) more general-purpose (Linux, programming, computer related). The personal site would be low-traffic I suspect, but the other one more traffic (downloads, software I've written etc.)

What I've considered so far:

* 1&1 - well known, advertised in the mag, a bit expensive?

* Streamline - seems reasonable value, but limiting expansion (only 10 domains max per account for "Bulk")?

* Heart internet - seems reasonable value, but might limit software downloads etc. see: (T&C point 23.2) so maybe unsuitable? I know someone who uses them, that's why I've mentioned them.

* Dreamhost - seems good value (assuming approx $2 = £1), features and hence expandability? I know someone who uses them and seems happy.

* Host with 110mb (free) and buy domains elsewhere, and point them here. But limited traffic, noticeable downtime etc?

* I'd be happy to buy domains from one place and host elsewhere etc.

To start with, I doubt I'll be slashdotted, but I would prefer the ability to grow without suddenly spiraling costs! Since it's not going to be mission critical, for now I'm more interested in 1. value 2. features (nothing too demanding - php, mysql, email etc.) and not so much support etc. (as long as it's reasonable and not constant errors, timeouts downtime etc.

What would people recommend?

Thanks again.
JS
LXF regular

Postby ScottAS » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:33 pm

JS

I am a former customer of Heart Internet Ltd. I decided some time ago that the features and capacities offered by the company no longer fulfilled my requirements and as a result of my decision, I decided to transfer my content to Servage UK Ltd. Servage UK Ltd. offer an absolutely fantastic Web site Hosting capability. My personal Web site is catered for and I also have enough of a capacity to provide a service for multiple additional Web sites therefore you will be able to host your required Web sites with ease.

To be honest, I cannot begin to explain the amount of fantastic features offered. The service which the company provides is extremely reassuring. Whenever I have encountered a problem, I have received a response via their Help Desk within a very short period of time.

I think that 1&1 Internet Ltd. is extremely expensive and certainly isn't worth the cost asked because of the fact that their feature list is extremely constricted and their Web site capacity et al is inferior to many other similar options however I wouldn't be able to comment about your other options as I have never used their services.

:)

Scott

http://www.servage.net/ - Servage UK Ltd.
Last edited by ScottAS on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottAS

Postby nordle » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Been with bluehost for over a year, costs $85 (about £50) per year, and the list of features is criminal!

The MD posts on the forums, and site performance has been great.

The main feature for me, rather simply, has been SSH access. A lot of shared hosting companies don't permit shell access. So this enables me to use rsync to keep an offsite (very offsite being USA) backup.

http://www.bluehost.com/tell_me_more.html

Be wary of "free" hosting packages. 110MB is not dissimilar to 1GB I signed up to 18mths ago. All was well for 3 months, then overnight, they vanished. No way to get the data back, no explanation etc
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby OnlyTheTony » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:06 am

I'm Pipex customer and use their VPS (Virtual Private Server) - which gives me root access to the machine and the ability, via plesk, to add multiple domains, emails, databases etc.

The downside is that it's £40 a month, but I host nearly 30 websites on that and I've been able to hack the server configs to meet my specifications.

The latest version - VPS 2.0 has all the up-to-date versions of MySQL, PHP, Apache etc.
If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0
OnlyTheTony
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am

I've been with uksecurewebhosting.net about 6 years now. Can't fault them.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 am

I've been with uksecurewebhosting.net about 6 years now. Can't fault them.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby JS » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks for your replies so far, I will investigate them all. Another one I've heard of is Redwood Virtual - they seem to be advertised on Google Mail a lot - any good? They seem cheap for what you get?

Any other suggestions, comments, caveats?

So far I've only ever done free host sites for testing/exploring the possibilities/my own use - apart from a voluntary organisation's site (over which I had no control over the host etc.); but I'd like to have a "proper" site(s) sometime, soon-ish. (Oh, and I've also done some web work on this PC, using dyndns, for testing/fiddling around/more flexibility than hosting.) So I appreciate your help!

Thanks again.
JS
LXF regular

Postby sujith34 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 am

Hi i would prefer Windows hosting because Unix does not support Windows development programs and if this is the development language of your choice, you would be best served by a Windows based server..i got windows hosting from Thewebpole and the service provided by them is reliable and affordable and the price paid for hosting is cheap when compared to some other providers..
sujith34

Postby reklan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

take a look at Bluerazor.. they do linux and windows hosting..

pretty reliable and good value.

www.bluerazor.com
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:19 pm

We use 1&1, have for years, and have never been less than happy with their service in terms of response and reliability.
We used to have a fully hosted solution, but over the last couple of years we have moved to virtual servers.
We run 2 virtual servers, one Linux (our main one) and one Windows (because the web design company involved in our spinoff company insist on MSSQL).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby geethaa » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 am

You may try using hioxindia.com for your web hosting needs. The prices are lower compared to others. For sure, there are no hidden costs. Great technical guidance and more value added features for free that could boost your business development. With hioxindia not only you are satisfied with your hosting needs but also, design, development and promotional needs. (With no costs)..
geethaa

Postby sledgehammer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:59 pm

sujith34 wrote:Hi i would prefer Windows hosting because Unix does not support Windows development programs and if this is the development language of your choice, you would be best served by a Windows based server..i got windows hosting from .......... and the service provided by them is reliable and affordable and the price paid for hosting is cheap when compared to some other providers..

Clearly this company is one to avoid if they are desperate enough to troll a linux website and specifically a LAMP question!
sledgehammer

Return to Discussion