Linux Format and Zinio Adobe Air

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Format and Zinio Adobe Air

Postby bengan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 pm

I thought I go for a digital copy of Linux Format, LXF150, from Zinio this time. LXF at a newsstand costs about £13 in Sweden. My first problem was that the images were of very poor quality. So poor that you can't read the text in them. If it is Zinio or Linux Format that is wrong here I do not know. Next problem is that I can't print out an article with Zinio on Adobe Air. There is a print icon down in the left corner. When I press the print icon Adobe Air just sends an empty document to the printer with no ending (I checked with wireshark). After exchanging some emails with Zinio support, and a few days troubleshooting, it turns out that there are some bugs not fixed yet. They then ask me to use their web client. Turns out Linux Format can't be used with the web client. After a few more days Zinio tells me that they are moving away from Adobe Air and that they are sorry for my troubles. It'll be interesting to see if the new solution will work for us on Linux.
bengan

Zinio for Linux

Postby alavarre » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Thank you for posting this. You saved me a lot of time. :(

Great idea, but poor execution, Zinio...

I also tried the manual download and install of Adobe Air and Reader 4, They just don't work, and the Adobe site says they no longer support Air for Linux.

It may work under Wine... and I have VirtualBox with WinXP, but that is a lot of hassle... Still for £40 savings it may be worth the bother. But not today.

And would you be able to download the live DVD ISOs?

Ah, nevermind:

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/c ... nuxformat/
*Please note that Zinio digital subscriptions do not include the coverdisc that comes with the magazine, or any covermount gifts. Access to the subscriptions only area is also not available.
UNQUOTE

Cheers, Andy :evil:
alavarre

Postby Haakin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi!

You should be able to download the coverdisc here:

http://www.linuxformat.com/archives

Javier
English is not my mother tongue. So, be ready to read bad grammar and limited vocabulary :-(
Haakin
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:02 am

The archive access is limited to some articles, unless you subscribe, as far as I know
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

Go to the Archives page and select an issue, and you'll see a green link with "Click here to get the DVD via BitTorrent" in it (don't have to be logged in).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs