Pioneer Space Sim

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Pioneer Space Sim

Postby Brianetta » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

I just discovered that M-Saunders told the Frontier forums that Pioneer (effectively a free Frontier: Elite 2 tribute) will be on the next cover disk.

This is fantastic news! I'm on the dev team for the Pioneer project, as well as being one of the guys running Tyneside Linux User Group (which is also getting featured in the magazine).

Pioneer is here: http://pioneerspacesim.net/

The game is in the alpha stages, but progress is very, very rapid. Alpha 14 is the version that'll be on the cover disk; a new Alpha build is released every month, and there are nightly development builds for the very enthusiastic.

Please, do try it out. We're all extremely proud of our work, and we're dead excited that it's going to get some extra exposure!

Brian Ronald
Official Bug Triage Nurse, Pioneer Space Sim
Tyneside Linux User Group
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Brianetta

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:53 am

Awesome. You should be well proud! I totally love Frontier, so a free, portable, graphically modern implementation is a dream come true. I know there's still a lot of work to be done, but it has so much potential. When I get some spare time, I'll try to join in the bugfixing and development effort.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:40 pm

**** sake. My Open Uni course starts in two weeks. Why did I have to find out about this now? Even if I resist downloading it will be posted straight through my door on a Disc. :/ #firstworldproblems.

On a less selfish, poor me, note, nicely done Brianetta! I haven't checked it out, but I will. The video on the website looks ace.
Brian Hunter

Postby GeordieJedi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

WoooooooHooooooo !!!!!

Thanks for this !

I also LOVE Frontier and Elite.
(In fact, I think I still have my Amiga Frontier save games, on some floppy disks
in the loft somewhere).

(If only I could get UAE to work on Lin or Amiga forever to work on Win, I could FINALLY finish UFO enemy unknown !)

And thanks to Brianetta, as I've found the eliteforums and the Frontier shareware downloads !
(That's winter sorted then).

Cheers lads
GeordieJedi
LXF regular

Pioneer Space Sim

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Brian Hunter

Good luck on your OU course. I remember it well.

Hardest work I ever did - and the most rewarding!

Regards

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Postby Brianetta » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Frontier (and, to a lesser extent, First Encounters) contributed to the failure of my degree course.
Tyneside Linux User Group
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Brianetta

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs