xubuntu lost internet after installing Firestarter

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

xubuntu lost internet after installing Firestarter

Postby turfcutter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I installed Xubuntu 11.04 from the LXF DVD and had internet access until I installed Firestarter. The output from ifconfig shows that eth1 is up and has an IP address and DNS addresses from my ISP but when I try to ping one of the DNS addresses I get "destination host unreachable". If I disconnect the network cable and plug it into my windows computer it gets internet okay. I suspect Firestarter but cannot see anything untoward in the policy settings. I followed its set-up wizard which worked for me when I last installed Firestarter over a year ago. So I uninstalled it and rebooted: still no internet. I deleted the auto eth1 connection from Network Manager to see if it would re-detect the card and set it up again. It did but used a different name so I set it up manually in Network Manager. I am stumped. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help you can give.
turfcutter

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 am

What does the ethernet cable connect to?

If you should happen to be on a cable service, so you have a cable modem (only, no router), then you could have the problem that the ISP has the service locked to the MAC of the original PC connected.

I think this scenario unlikely, since you post that you've acquired IP address and DNS resolver.

Otherwise, I think your thinking about firewalling could be correct -even tho' the default setup is usually more sensible than that.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby turfcutter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 am

Yes, I use a cable modem but I don't think that's the problem because I often switch the ethernet cable between my Linux machine and my Windows one with no problems other than perhaps having to restart the modem.
turfcutter

Return to Help!