LXF 147 - Gnome 3

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 147 - Gnome 3

Postby pfnorris » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:55 pm

I know I'm a few weeks late on this but I just wanted to say kudos to Jonathan on an excellent article on gnome3 in LXF147. This was the latest in a number of fine articles since joining the mag.

As it happens it prompted me to go back and take another look at Gnome 3, after I had initially decided I wasn't all that keen. After running Gome 2 for some considerable time I had taken a brief look at both G3 and Unity and decided to give KDE 4.6 a try. That was just too flaky with random crashes taking the entire desktop out.

After following Jonathan's tutorial I re-installed G3 on my Arch setup, and set about installing some themes and extensions. Having run it for a few weeks now I really like it. I have found it to be completely reliable and I have found that after a short period getting used to the layout etc I like the way it works.

Whilst it is .0 release and there is still alot of work to be done. It really hasn't taken all that much effort for me to get it set up how I want it. I think it has the potential a few releases down the road to be truly outstanding.

Anyway thanks again Jonathan for the inspiration.
pfnorris

Postby jonrob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

Hey,

Just to say that I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful - it was certainly really interesting writing it.

Also wanted to say thanks for your kind comments about my articles since joining - always scary when you start a new (first) job :-)
jonrob
Site admin

Just do it......

Postby butibum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 am

Jon's comments got me to just install Gnome Shell and Natty (also OpenSusE 11.4) and to try it out for a couple of weeks. I persevered with it, discovered lots of things, and blogged about it on my website.
Thanks for your motivational message :lol:
PS
I also installed Natty and Unity on another machine and am trying that out too. Just to see how it goes in real life.
PPS
Both new systems appear to be currently flawed in that they cannot handle more than one Graphics Card. I run 2GPU & 4 Mons here at work, so for the moment I am staying with Mint 11 as my working desktop in the office.
Hopefully the next iteration of both DEs will solve this problem.
regards Martin aka badwolf9
butibum

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs