LXD 148 Mint problem

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXD 148 Mint problem

Postby paulm » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:58 am

Just got my copy of LXF 148. And thought I would have a look at Mint 11. Small problem - X won't start in either normal or compatibility mode on my laptop (Lenovo T61, using Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 graphics.

I thought I had seen something relating to problems with Intel graphics, but so far, I've had no luck finding it again. So, can anyone tell me what I need in order to get Mint working?

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:10 am

:) I do love replying to my own messages....

I have no idea what the problem is, but I can run Mint if I'm patient.

Part way through the boot sequence the screen goes blank and stays that way. Eventually, I get a mouse pointer and then, sometime later, a desktop. No idea what it is doing, but it does get there eventually. I also get a blank screen during shut down, but it will, eventually shut down.

Not sure I like it, but it is a better Gnome interface than the standard one.

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby viking777 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 am

I am glad you have sorted your problem out paulm, I wish I could.

I bought issue 148 specifically because it has (or is supposed to have) LM11 on the cover disc. This is what happens when I try to boot it (in normal or compatibility mode).

I get a LM11 boot splash and select 'boot lm 11'. By pressing Esc key I see the following messages (amongst others):

Code: Select all
grep: /root/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed  No such file or directory

Scanning disk for index files.

About 30 seconds later I get a perfectly working copy of Ubuntu 10.10 :evil:

Many people have said that the magazine should be rechristened "Ubuntu Format" - now I know that is true. Did you think I might not notice the difference?

Incidentally Mageia (in which I have no interest) boots perfectly well so there is nothing wrong with my cdrom drive.

I wish to install LM11 - can anyone suggest how I might do it with this disk?
viking777

Postby paulm » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:09 am

viking777 wrote:I am glad you have sorted your problem out paulm, I wish I could.

Well, I'm not sure I would say that they're sorted - I've never had the screen just go blank before the way it does with the Mint startup. A different problem, but still a problem....

I bought issue 148 specifically because it has (or is supposed to have) LM11 on the cover disc. This is what happens when I try to boot it (in normal or compatibility mode).

I get a LM11 boot splash and select 'boot lm 11'. By pressing Esc key I see the following messages (amongst others):

Code: Select all
grep: /root/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed  No such file or directory

Scanning disk for index files.

About 30 seconds later I get a perfectly working copy of Ubuntu 10.10 :evil:

Wow. Now that really is very strange. I do (eventually) get Mint. Sounds like you got a very odd DVD with your copy. I think I would be asking for a replacement disk.

Many people have said that the magazine should be rechristened "Ubuntu Format" - now I know that is true. Did you think I might not notice the difference?

:) I will admit that I often don't look very closely at the DVD just becuase so much is Ubuntu related. Mind you, I've just installed 11.04 from an earlier cover disk, just so I know what Unity is like. Don't like it much and I don't think its going to get hard drive space for very long....

Incidentally Mageia (in which I have no interest) boots perfectly well so there is nothing wrong with my cdrom drive.

Same here. After my initial problems with Mint, I fired it up just to see. Works fine here as well.

I wish to install LM11 - can anyone suggest how I might do it with this disk?

Pass. I would wonder if there is something wrong with the disk. My copy is at home at the moment, so I can't check, but it might be worth checking the contents against a working disk and asking Future for a replacement.

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby viking777 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:16 am

but it might be worth checking the contents against a working disk and asking Future for a replacement.

I think that is probably going to be the only option, but I thought I would post here first in case some clever person knew a workround for such a problem.

Thanks for replying anyway.
viking777

Postby owend » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am

Wierder and wonderfuller! My LXF148 coverdisk ran Mint 11 live and installed perfectly (Mint 11 good, BTW, but I don't think it's worth the effort of migrating from my fully-working and tweaked Mint 10).

I wanted to try Mageia, but when trying to open it, the system has a kernel crash every time after about ten seconds, with the Mageia name and dots on screen, and I have to hard-restart!

Maybe it's because the computer can't pronounce the name?

As an aside, I'd like to try other distros, having been Mint for 8, 9 and now 10 - can anyone suggest a KDE version where Google-Earth works with proper fonts? (I have an Nvidia card).
owend

Postby viking777 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply owend. If you like wierd and wonderful, check this out.

I downloaded a copy of Mint 11 via the Mint website, md5 checked it, burnt it, booted from it - went straight into Ubuntu 10.4 :shock: Exactly the same as the LXF disc.

Later on I bought an external USB dvd drive (for my wife's netbook actually not just to install Mint 11!). Connected it to my computer booted from both the LXF disc and my own disc - result Ubuntu 10.4 on both occasions.

I then used a loopback boot in grub to boot the iso directly - result - Mint 11 :?

So there is nothing wrong with the iso, nothing wrong with my drive, and nothing wrong with the LXF disc.

Quite what that leaves I don't know.

Anyway I have given up on Mint 11 for now I always use Mint Debian Edition anyway.

Sorry I can't help you with your question - I am not a KDE man (any more).
viking777

Postby owend » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Glad you got Mint 11 eventually, Viking777. Worth persevering with Mint which is, I think, the best overall distro around. You may want to try Mint 10 (on LXF147 coverdisk) - little surface difference between it and Mint 11. I'm Mint 10 - I tried Mint 11 from the LXF148 disk, but it's probably not worth me reinstalling programs, migrating data etc, so I'll stick with '10 on the principle of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I tried LMDE too, but the vast downloads put me off.

I've always been a Gnome, but so many rave about KDE I thought I'd like to try it, but Google Earth fonts are poor (tried openSuse, Kubuntu recently). I'll probably be boring and stay Gnome.
owend

Postby viking777 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

We agree on a lot owend :D

Like you, from my eventual experience with Mint 11 I came to the conclusion that not enough had changed to make it worth while changing from Mint 10..

As for LMDE I grabbed it when it first came out, and as it is a rolling release, all I have had to do is keep it up to date since then. There have been a lot of complaints about the lack of an updated iso and one is promised soon but there is no definite date yet. So if you fancy it, keep an eye on this page:

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

It will be announced there as soon as it is available, and I seriously believe it is worth waiting for if you don't already have an updated LMDE version. As you say, if you install the original iso now the downloads to update it are so enormous as to make it not sensible (especially as so many updates at one time are pretty well guaranteed to baulk it anyway).
viking777

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs