Can Linux serve webpages to Windows on same PC?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Can Linux serve webpages to Windows on same PC?

Postby SwissMac » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:52 pm

If I install a Linux distro with the required apps to act as a webserver onto a PC, can I then access this webserver via the Windows partition on the same computer, or is it a "one or the other" approach only?

TIA

Mac
SwissMac

Postby brian » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:14 pm

One or the other I'm afraid. Its not possible to boot 2 partitions on the same pc at the same time.

You could install the linux distro and then access the webserver from another pc
brian

Postby greenpenguin » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:28 pm

I suppose it might be possible to do something with VMware or QEMU...
greenpenguin

Postby Erin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 pm

If you are running a webserver, you can just serve the pages to the local machine. You do not need another OS at all. These are simple facts of software on any platform.

Software runs on an OS that runs on some hardware. If the OS is not alive-alive-o, the software will not be either.

In Linux, you can choose numerous webserver. Apache and Roxen spring to mind but there are many other choices as well. See what your distro provides. If you need further asistance, just ask.

Regards Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby marlight » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Install the Windows port of Apache on the Windows partition. Also install Apache on the Linux partition.

Creat a FAT32 formatted parition that will be accessible to both Windows and Linux, and store the web pages on it. Configure both Apache instances so that "DocumentRoot" is pointing at the files on this partition. Bingo, shared web pages across both partitions.

Or grab a copy of VMWare and fire that up for the rare occasions when you just _have_ to run Windows.
marlight

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:48 am

Thanks for the answers, I thought it might turn out that way. AFAIK it is easier to install Apache on Linux than on Windows (in worst case you can just let the initial Linux Pro distro auto-install it). Perhaps I am wrong. I just want to serve myself webpages to test what I am writing/investigating when needed. Until I have two PCs at home I have to keep Windows running (unfortunately) and I was worried also that if I did eventually set up Apache on W98 it would not be as secure as it would have been if running on Linux. I guess I just have to wait until I can set up a second machine with either Mac OS X or a PC with Linux.

Thanks,

Mac

Postby crimmer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:48 pm

Apache is actually extremely easy to set up on Windows. (NT/2000/XP at least - I haven't tried 9x, but I'm sure it'll be fine). As to security, it's only an issue if someone can get to the machine from outside the house, either because you have a wireless network with no/poor security (less than WPA), or the W98 machine is connected to the outside world via a modem (via a router using NAT is safe, as long as you don't have port forwarding from the router to your W98 machine). If someone is inside the house, they can just boot the W98 PC, so there's no point worrying about exploits via Apache for W98 or W98 itself, even if there are any.

Chris.
crimmer

Postby andyr » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:29 pm

A real easy install of apache which also includes php and mysql can be found at http://www.easyphp.org/

Andy
andyr

Return to Help!