Mandriva or SuSE?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva or SuSE?

Postby ghostattack » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:11 am

Hi,
I'm wondering if i can get a few honest opinions?
I have currently Mandriva installed on my PC (along with win XP). I think Mandriva is good, It hasn't been all downhill, but i like it.
I have been checking out a live CD of SUSE, which i think is cool too. It seems to be a popular choice too, judging by the thread about distro's.
I have read up about it on different sites, and i'm thinking of switching to SUSE.
BUT! i want to know is it really worth forking out the $$$ that it costs? I know that there is a free version, but i read that it's better to get pro.
Is it worth it? or should i stay with mandriva?
ghostattack

Re: Mandriva or SuSE?

Postby Nobber » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:21 am

ghostattack wrote:I know that there is a free version, but i read that it's better to get pro.

What were the reasons given for that, and are they relevant to you?
Nobber
LXF regular

RE: Re: Mandriva or SuSE?

Postby alloydog » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:57 am

The Professional version offers your a support contract, plus you get some added proprietry (i.e. closed license) software packages.

If you are regular home office/small office type user, then you will probably find the Personal edition (the free one) has plenty for you.

If you have room on your hardrive, you could go for a dual boot system to try both out.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby ggreaves » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:31 pm

I started out with SUSE 5.x and later tried to move to Mandrake (now Mandriva). I've always had installation problems with Mandrake/Mandriva, and stuck with SUSE. I'm generally happy with SUSE, particularly release 9.3 which has been the best since 9.0, and would happly recommend it as a Windows/Other Linux replacement. The only thing that has cooled my enthusiasm was a driver problem with nvidia's mobile video card. 3D stopped working which meant my fav game BZTank has been no go. This seems to have been fixed in release 10.0 but should I pay to find out? I may wait for a 10.x release.
ggreaves
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:47 pm

Compare the free versions of both, then spend your money on the paid version of whichever suits you best.

It's a very personal thing, I've tried various versions of SUSE but they were never quite right, I always ended up going back to Mandrake.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: Mandriva or SuSE?

Postby ghostattack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:30 am

Nobber wrote:
ghostattack wrote:I know that there is a free version, but i read that it's better to get pro.

What were the reasons given for that, and are they relevant to you?

I read in the book Linux For dummies that since Novell now owns suse, they have put a lot of money into it, as with software etc as Alloydog says.
And also the " Two thick Manuals" and customer support wouldn't hurt.
But i think i might try brfore i buy, with the free version. Because i don't like live cds, especcialy since i only have one DVD/CD drive.
Thanks For your opinions!! :D
ghostattack

Postby duffmckagan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:50 am

The new SuSE 10.0 seems to be a success. :)
Check out My Blog
duffmckagan

Postby dth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:58 pm

good advice from nelz (as always) give the free version of suse ago and if you like it get the retail version.

I am the other way round tried mandarke but always ended up going back to Suse.
dth

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:53 pm

I tried suse 9.3 but didn't really like it, went back to mandriva as soon as 2006 arrived. But it is personal choice, try them both. I do find that the 'bought' version is slightly easier on the user as everything is done for you!!
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby duffmckagan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:32 pm

I have heard people say that there isn't much difference between the Mandriva 2005 LE and the Mandriva 2006 edition.

Moreover, the Open SuSE version includes only Free Software or the software whose source code is available, while the other versions like the GM, Eval etc. include all the software.

The Eval version is a complete distro, but the thing is it simply lacks support from Novell.
Check out My Blog
duffmckagan

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:43 pm

duffmckagan wrote:I have heard people say that there isn't much difference between the Mandriva 2005 LE and the Mandriva 2006 edition.

I must disagree, Mandriva 2006 (Powerpack edition) is quite smooth and works pretty well (even on the old machine I use it on), while I found 2005LE to be full of problems (and I'm not just talking about the shite graphics).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby duffmckagan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:07 pm

Oh yeah!

Almost forgot that the Power pack version is what rocks.

Put most of the people give out their opinions on the Free versions, of most of the distros.
I think the guys I heard this from tried the Mandriva 2006 beta. (not sure about it though.)
Check out My Blog
duffmckagan

Postby ollie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 am

There are a few choices when choosing which version of SUSE Linux to install. The versions are:

1. OpenSUSE.org 10.0 - free download (5 CDs) which only includes OSS, only community support available
2. Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 - free download (1 x DVD) x86 32-bit and x86_64-bit, no support available
3. Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 - free download (5 CDs) x86 32-bit only, 450 extra packages, no support available
4. Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 - purchased version (1 x DVD, 5 x CDs, printed manuals) x86 32-bit and x86_64-bit, 90 days installation support, additional support available (paid)

I have used Red Hat 5.2 => 9.0, Madrake/Mandriva 7/8 and SUSE Linux 9.0 => 10.0 over the past 5 or 6 years. I'm currently running SUSE Linux 10.0, just for the ease of the few proprietary programs like Real Player and Adobe Reader. There are minor bugs in SUSE Linux 10.0 (free 5 x CDs download), but I've experienced this with every x.0 version. Some of my "necessary software" is missing - most notably Scribus due to a Gnome library issue, but installing the older version and Scribus from source fixed this. It isn't hard these days to compile software if required, even on my old Athlon 2000+ system.

I usually wait until x.1 version to purchase the "official" product as Iike to provide my little bit of support to the distributors.

Hope my $0.02 help
ollie

Postby duffmckagan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:23 pm

I installed the Mandriva LE 2005 on my computer.
It is so smooth. No problems at all.
(Mandriva should do something to the default look, to make it a bit better. But that thing is fuly customizable and not a problem at all.)

Mandriva and SuSE cannot be compared. That is what I feel.

I have also used SuSE and Mandrake for the past two years, and got to understand that both are great distros.

Mandriva moreover, doesn't have the licensing problems.
Mandriva plays MP3, and other video formats out of the box.

We need to search for that on SuSE, then install the needed packages to add MP3 support. (The procedure is not difficult at all, but the thing that it needs to be noted is to be noted. )

Thank you.
Check out My Blog
duffmckagan

Postby Marrea » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:24 pm

Rhakios wrote:
duffmckagan wrote:I have heard people say that there isn't much difference between the Mandriva 2005 LE and the Mandriva 2006 edition.

I must disagree, Mandriva 2006 (Powerpack edition) is quite smooth and works pretty well (even on the old machine I use it on), while I found 2005LE to be full of problems (and I'm not just talking about the shite graphics).

Rhakios
Which Powerpack version did you buy? I see there is one for 54 euros and another one for 79.90 euros, the more expensive one containing manuals and support. I too came across various problems with the 2005LE version (from the LXF Special) and have now replaced it with the latest Ubuntu 5.10. But generally speaking I was reasonably impressed with Mandriva and was wondering whether I might do better with the Powerpack edition.
Marrea
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion