Ubuntu 11.10

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

ollie wrote:
bobthebob1234 wrote:Unless the world ends :twisted:

The world ends in 2012, not 2011

Do you have this on good authority?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Tue May 10, 2011 2:48 am

According to the Mayans the end of the 13th b'ak'tun is on either 21 December 2012 or 23 December 2012 (depending on different "experts" opinions). This is the end of their calendar and Western culture has decided that this is the apocalypse or end of the world. Other "experts" say we are going to have a rapid geomagnetic reversal in 2012.

Google is the friend of the doomsayers with plenty of web sites predicting the end of the world in 2012 according to "ancient texts".

I look forward to New Years Eve 2012 when we welcome 2013 in with plenty of spirits - both kinds :wink:
ollie

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:20 am

ollie wrote:with plenty of spirits - both kinds :wink:

Drunkard. :D I don't drink.

Better get a googling for these "experts" to see if I can give them lots of monies for them to "save" me :D

I think I can now declare this has gone wayyyyyyy off topic, back to discussing Ubuntu 11.10!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Hate Unity but use Ubuntu 11.04? At the login screen, select the "Ubuntu Classic" session and everything will look like Ubuntu 10.10 :roll: :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby heiowge » Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I tried that and compiz broke. Reinstalling broke my max / min / close bar on every window.

Rolled back to 10.10.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am

Just updated to 11.

What a complete mess. Everything broken. Unity won't load, Compiz busted, CUPS knackered, slow as hell, won't shut down.

Computer coming up for replacement anyway, sorely tempted to leave it on Windows 7.

And that from a long-term (16 years) Linux user.

Yeah, I could probably sort it all out but, frankly, I really cannot be arsed :evil:
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 am

Ubuntu != Linux

While Ubuntu's efforts to popularise Linux are to be applauded, they have inevitably meant that Ubuntu is Linux in the minds of many. While that's good for them when they get things right, it's bad for everyone when they get it wrong. After assuming responsibility for popular Linux in the way they have, they should be far more careful about damaging it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am

didn't you get the memo nelz?

From now onwards ubuntu === linux

:D

11 and unity works fine on my netbook. Can't run it as a virtual machine though.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Fri May 20, 2011 11:38 am

nelz wrote:Ubuntu != Linux

Yeah, I know, but it happens to be the distro I'm currently running, and the upgrade has completely knackered it.

This is the 2nd time I've had this problem with Ubuntu, and I'm not going to arse about fixing it again.

So, its goodbye Ubuntu. Thinking of going back to Debian
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri May 20, 2011 2:38 pm

That's why I'm still on 10.04, which only had one broken bit - left hand window controls, which was a easy fix.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Fri May 20, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm also still on 10.04 and will probably stay there. My desktop will not run unity but manages the unity-2d, which appears to be a bit of a halfway house; it still allows icons on the desktop but has the launcher bar on the left, which I hate, not having a widescreen.

I have a second hard drive on which I have 4 different distros which I am trying out, which at the moment are ubuntu 11.04, xubuntu 11.04 and lubuntu 11.04. I also have one unused partition at the moment waiting for possibly Mint 11, or maybe something totally away from the ubuntu versions that have been my favourites for the past 6 years. Of those I think I prefer Lubuntu, very quick, and the DE does not get in the way of working with the OS, as unity does, for me, at least.

On machines that will not run unity fully, what will 11.10 default to, as gnome 2 classic desktop will not be available in ubuntu by that time?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby SpecialStuff » Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 pm

nelz wrote:While Ubuntu's efforts to popularise Linux are to be applauded, they have inevitably meant that Ubuntu is Linux in the minds of many. While that's good for them when they get things right, it's bad for everyone when they get it wrong.

I completely agree with this bit. For a lot of people Ubuntu is Linux, and suggesting other distros just isn't an option for them. They want what is perceived as the most popular, and that's Ubuntu. It was a bit like that for me in a way. A clean install of 11.04 proved to be as riddled with problems as 10.10 was for me, so I knew I really had to look around and for a new main distro. This was a bit of an eye opener for me as I'd been using Ubuntu for years. Using OpenSuse now, and I'm definitely finding it a much better option for me. I've had none of the annoying bugs that I used to get frustrated with on Ubuntu, and I've settled in very quickly. Gnome 3 is really brilliant too, and I'm just loving using Linux again. I've even set up a new sub to Linux Format! :D

With Ubuntu I've found the LTS releases have been brilliant. Both 8.04 and 10.04 have been rock solid when I've used them. But the bits in between have been a real mixed bag for me. Usually the .10 releases have been the most troublesome. I didn't expect 11.04 to be such a mess for me, but so it proved. I suppose at least my cloud had a silver lining, and it finally prompted me to try something else.
SpecialStuff

Postby nelz » Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

What's broken about left-side window controls? That's where they used to be before Microsoft moved them.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Previous

Return to Discussion