Connection between Windows & Linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Connection between Windows & Linux

Postby lewkh » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 am

Hi,
I am running the redhat linux 9 and using the command as following to map Windows Storage 2003.
mount -t smbfs -o username=<username>,password=<passwd> //<ip address>/share /mntpoint

On Windows site, I just make the folder to be share out only.

It is successful to map between linux and Windows but recently Windows happen the refuse connection on it when I check the linux host, the mounting still there and once I restart windows then I can read/write file to the directory without remount on linux site(that time still mounting). Before I restart windows, I can't ls the file in that directory on linux, it reply the error message as LS: Stale file handle. but mounting is still there by issueing command mount.

Again the problem happens almost a week a time, it means after I restart windows then a week later I need to restart again, otherwise connection refuge by windows.

Is there any thing I can do in the windows site?Is there any service that I can restart without reboot whole windows OS?

Could anybody tell me what is the happening? Please advise me........

Is there any alternative solution?
lewkh

RE: Connection between Windows & Linux

Postby youlikeicecream » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:06 am

try cifs, some of my win2k3 servers at work only work with cifs (Large Filesystem support)

try putting

//servername/sharepoint /mnt/mylocaldir cifs, credentials=/home/foo/.servernamecredentials

into /etc/fstab

make the credentials file like this :
(in a console)

navigate to /home/foo (where foo is your username)

# echo username=foo > .servernamecredentials
# echo password=secret >> .servernamecredentials
# chmod 655 .servernamecredentials

bear in mind that on my network (at work) there are 10 workgroups and 2 domains, so the network is iffy to say the least.

if you are on a Domain you might find browsing the network easier by joining the domain, if i remember correctly that can be done using :
#net ads join -w workgroupname
(for active directory)
you will be asked for the password of the user logged in and then you should be joined and appear as a machine in the domain.

hope this is of help

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:41 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks to your helping!
Is the CIFS last for frequent read/write file accessing? because my application in Linux is highly demanding read/write file accessing to Windows Storage 2003 based NAS.

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:00 pm

I bet it is, my NAS at my work takes soooooo long to access that linux timesout on the bloody thing. CIFS will work where smbfs doesn't, but have no idea what differences access demands will make to CIFS. CIFS just supports Large Filesysytems. you could also try a KDE application (if you run KDE) called smb4k, which has all the options you need to fiddle with to get logon time sharepoints mounted locally :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby lewkh » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 am

Thanks to your helping..
Is there any benchmark showing the CIFS is better than smbfs?
I m using Redhat Linux 9 with no X windows installed...
:D
lewkh

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:34 am

No Xwindows, good luck, can be done but I have no idea about benefits of SMBFS over CIFS. Are you on a Domain ? If so you probably need to join it to access the NAS.

Also sounds like win2k3 is behaving badly if it needs a restart each week. I find that this can be because of Automatc Updates needing to restart or because an application is running on the server that has a memory hole that takes a week to cause a denial of service to your linux (or any other) client.

hope this is of some help
Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Return to Help!