Linux and Laptops

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux and Laptops

Postby JayTrem » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:50 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows of a company in the UK whos harware (especially laptops) is guaranteed to support linux?
Cheers
JayTrem

RE: Linux and Laptops

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:32 pm

HP claim to do this, but you still have to buy Windows on the laptop & then install Linux.
Dell were also claiming to sell laptops with RedHat preinstalled, but I've never found it on their website :(
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Nobber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:51 pm

HP also claims to sell laptops with FreeDOS pre-installed (instead of Windows), but they seem to be impossible to acquire if (a) you're not in the US or (b) you're not a so-called Large Enterprise customer. And even then it seems to be quite hard. (I went to HP's US website pretending to be a Large Enterprise customer, but after filling in forms describing what sort of configuration I wanted, I was fobbed off with an nx6110 with Windows pre-installed.)
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Novatech will at least sell you a system (desktop or laptop) with no OS at all on it, although they don't offer any support for Linux as such. I've got SuSE 9.2 running quite happily on a laptop I bought from them a couple of years back (although 8.2 didn't like the ProSavage graphics chipset).
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Hardware