LXF69-August-No-DVD-Version-In-Sydney-Au

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF69-August-No-DVD-Version-In-Sydney-Au

Postby jjmac » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:45 am

In Sydney Australia something not so funny has happened to the August issue.

It's been on the shelves for over almost two weeks now. But only the cd version.

It seems no one has the DVD version available.

What would have caused this ???

I was looking forward to it too. Still havn't got gentoo in yet :roll:. Got a depends error to night on a bzip source package v1.1.3 that wasn't available on the dvd, it had v1.1.2 (grin). But thats a differn't issue.

jjmac :cry: :cry: :cry:
jjmac
LXF regular

RE: LXF69-August-No-DVD-Version-In-Sydney-Au

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 pm

It sounds like you have run emerge --sync or added ~ to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf. either of these could result in portage wanting a later version of a package.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:49 pm

Howdy nelz,

:)

I had, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

scripts/bootstrap.sh -f

seemed to run ok, i logged it and it seemed to still want to reference net locations, but went ok other wise.

scripts/bootstrap

was were it bailed with the v1.1.3 problem on a bzip2 package.

Thanks for the hint :D, i'm in the process of stripping back all my additions but i think that would have been the last one i would have looked at.

I'm not quite sure if i should touch the USE flags ... i'll just use the defaults in make.conf.example for now. Gentoo is quite a facinatting distro. Once i get past this initial hurdle i may well quite enjoy it.

Figured out your hint, if that's what is was (grin), in another post too. On cd burning. You mentioned that you just use scripts. Found the build.sh script in the .html directory, that got everything working. Can't really picture all the relationships there, like a sparse boot.cat file (almost) and also for isolinux.boot ... but i like a good mystery story :)

I think the way the vga setting is delt with though is incorrect.

There was a hard coded vga=791 setting in the x86_64 iso, in the isolinux.cfg. That should really be a cli option as it causes really tiny fonts on anything around a 17 inch screen. Mine were totally unreadable. Setting it to "normal" fixed it though. Curiously Ubuntu has it hard coded as well, but set to "normal" so there were no problems. Knoppix dosen't. It leaves it to the user to decide on vga which directly effects the font size, which is much more portable for different screen hw sizes. I find it strange that a distro like Gentoo would have allowed that, as it does restrict usability a lot. On a 20 inch screen i would think the virtual pixalisation associated with the increased resolution would produce a readable font ... in anycase --- all fixed now.

On the missing dvd mag issue but, a nice newsagent up at Chatswood, which i live near, just rang. Seems the dvd version was here but the distributors don't have any. Very, very strange. I think somethings going on. Seeing as how the mag only turned up in the last week, just a couple of days into September. So, off to town for a major search.

Thanks again for the hint above...

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:07 am

You cannot change from arch to ~arch and still install exclusively for the DVD. The packages on the DVD are for the stable tree, if you want to run testing, you really need a decent Internet connection because of the frequency of updates. If you want to install for the DVD, use amd64, not ~amd64.

vga=791 shouldn't result in particularly small fonts on a 17" screen, it's 1024x768. I haven't tried it though, my amd64 box has a 22" screen :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ZebCarnell » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:04 am

Christchurch New Zealand had the same problem I think (when I was down there). But that doesnt matter to me because I have a subscription straight form the New Zealand Distributor.
"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people." -- Linus Torvalds
ZebCarnell

Postby jjmac » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 am

hmmm, well there's an interesting development on the mag availability in Sydney issue. I probably should have posted it here, but it's on a new thread just up above a bit.

nelz ...

Yep, it was the ~amd64 that was blocking it. Got it going today. Gentoo is a totally cool distro. Let it run for most of the afternoon in the post bootstrap stage. Just to see if it looked like it would keep going. Then killed it to add a bit of optimisation for the cflages.

scripts/bootstrap is finished and i'll do "emerge -e system" over night. I get the feelling i'm going to start liking Gentoo. I can sense it's addictivness already. It gives one faith to see such a complete src compile process just working like that ... with out falling over :)

On the fonts ... i gotta experiment more there. I had to edit the gentoo iso to get a usable console font at boot. I edited the vga=791 to vga=normal and used the .html/build.sh script to figure out how to recreate it, so that it would boot. After a few goes, got a result. Kanotix is the one now that seems to be attempting the same thing :roll: (grin).

22 inch, hmmmm, it would make a difference. Isn't that the whole joy to the wide screens apple use. The virtualisation changes with the area available to hold the resolution. Seems easily solvable but, and inherently more portable and backward compatible as well, to just take the fixation of that parameter out of the boot configs, and allowing for a cli override.

Not really quite sure how "normal" is interpreted though ... maybe it brings in issues to do with the video card being used ..., may be it is actually a 640x480 screen i get as a result and not a 800x600 as i was thinking !.. What ever it is, it works. By "tiny" i mean arount 2 mm, and by usable/sane i mean around 5 mm to 6 mm. I do use a smallish font in my file manager, and in other situations at times, but on the console ... the bleed of the font at that small size contributes to the problem. Will just have to work on this a bit more i think :)

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:50 am

If anyone in Oz has difficulty getting hold of the magazine, your best
bet is to contact our distributor, NDD. Contact details are as follows:

NDD Distribution Pty Ltd
Level 2, 1 Newsdirect Road off 160 Bourke Road
Alexandria
NSW 2015

Telephone: 00612 93530258

E-mail: Heather Jones hjones@ndd.com.au

Heather will be able to point any readers in the right direction.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:02 pm

:) ahh, good on you Mr M... (grin)...

There does seem to have been a change recently. At least on the North side of Sydney. cd versions only, or at least the dvds' have been very sparce. I did manage to find a pristien dvd August release down near the china-town part of the city. And now iv'e found a local shop that will order one special. So it should be ok ... The September issue arived in the shop <cough> half way through September </cough> good_grief. Thats a first for over here :)

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Postby urbandryad » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:09 am

*grins* anybody who wants to trade their October CD's for my October DVD, might wanna PM me. :3 I can't do anything with a DVD, when I have no DVD player. XD
~{@ Urban Dryad @}~
urbandryad

Postby jjmac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:41 am

dvd recorders are really cheap these days, even for a peasant like me,,, :)

jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs