De-bogonising

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

De-bogonising

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Internet connection being a bit slow today, apparently, I've noticed some of the "Connecting to..." info in the bottom left of Firefox when visiting this site. Addresses of the type 1.2.3.x appear quite often. Searching around, I found that this has something to do with the APNIC debogon project, which lead me to this article. While this is written in superficially comprehensible English I'm still none the wiser. :?
For example, it says that "filtering of unallocated address space... is a good thing." Really? Why? My understanding of things goes rapidly downhill after that.
Assuming I do understand it at all, won't IPv6 just makes things worse? There will be a vastly greater range of unallocated IP addresses to filter and with more blocks being allocated as ever more devices need unique IP addresses, ISPs and other network operators will find it ever harder to keep up with making new addresses route-able.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby catgate » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Bogonising !!!
I thought this was something that only went on round the back of the Palace of Westminster's bike shed. Surely it has not finally come out into the open?

No wonder expenses needed fiddling.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:00 pm

"Expenses", is that what they are called these days?

Meanwhile, I read that the new Linux kernel supports AnyIP - a feature designed to "receive packets and establish incoming connections on IPs [you] have not explicitly configured on the machine".

I'm just guessing that this is why they might need filtering.

Or am I way off the mark?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic