LinuxWorld 2005

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LinuxWorld 2005

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:52 pm

Just come back from LinuxWorld had a wonderful 2 days and saw alot of famous people (oh and the LXF Team :wink: ) Also meant alot of the forum posters which was fantastic!

So I thought if anyone went we should have a bit of a post about it, seeing as LXF have it on their blog!!

So, what was the best bits and what was the bad!!

I vote the bad bits as having to get up at 4.00am both mornings, and having to pull a suitcase full of three laptops and a switch being the worst bit...but hey thats got nothing to do with the expo itself.....

:roll:
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Linuxworld

Postby evilnick » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Yay!

I saw lots of famous forum members, which is good. I had quite a few suggestions for the mag from readers and exhibitors. I got to indulge in some worthy microsoft bashing on the panel.

For the bad, apart from the travelling, the lack of good network arrangements, well, I can't say there was anything too bad. The show is still too small, and rarely is there anything new and exciting. but there were lots of cool people there. I was particularly happy to meet Klaus Knopper and Rasmus Lerdorf.
evilnick

RE: Linuxworld

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Oh!! I meant Klaus, he was very very interested in Karoshi :) well mainly our use of Xdialog.

Saw loads of others, it was really cool, who needs your Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis and other Hollywood celebs!!

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

RE: LinuxWorld 2005

Postby Nigel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Sorry, posted here before I saw this thread...

The .org village was very good - nice to meet linuxgirlie. Surprised there was no LXF stand.

Most unusual freebie : a live Gentoo CD (think about it... Gentoo is supposed to be optimised for the exact hardware you have... just the opposite of a live CD :roll: ). Seems to work OK, though :)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:51 pm

I had a great time. Really nice to meet you, linuxgirlie, and thanks for the quick demo of Karoshi.

Also had a brief word with Andy Channelle and a (much) briefer word with Paul Hudson.

I particularly enjoyed the discussion about whether Linux would become a mainstream o.s. or whether it would remain the province of the expert user. I'm not sure that a definite conclusion was actually made one way or the other, but it was interesting to hear all the various views put forward.

I managed to pick up lots of CDs which was good. Best of all was the Star Office software being given away for nothing.

I too was surprised LXF didn't have a stand but with them all running round taking photos I suppose there wouldn't have been anyone left to look after it.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby overflow » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:53 pm

It was nice to meet Linuxgirlie (who was nothing like I imagined - but then people rarely are) and Evilnick - who isn't half as evil as he'd like to think.

I enjoyed the show but - yes - it is too small. An hour or so is all it really takes.

Best bits? Chatting up the promo girls, probably. Worst bits? Finding out how expensive good kit is :( .
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:17 pm

What does that mean? ROFL!!! :shock: :shock:

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:17 pm

oh, and dont get me started on the 'rackspace' girls......lol

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:43 pm

I think maybe we are better off not knowing...
evilnick

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:47 pm

So i'm not the only one up at this time of night...

I think maybe we are better off not knowing...

What about my hatred of women showing of there assets to make a sale or overflow not imagining me right :wink:

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:52 pm

There was also the lady on the Dell stand who really didn't know very much about the rather nice sub-notebook they had on display...
but the worst one was the HP lady on the Novell/SuSE stand who told me they couldn't sell me a notebook with no operating systems for legal reasons - sheer Micro$oft FUD !!!!!
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 am

Meeting the ReactOS folks (well, two of them) was great. Their project is zooming along and I feel it's going to explode in popularity over the next 12 months. One of the ReactOS guys said he got into developing the OS after reading about it in HotPicks! Haroo!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:11 am

Nigel wrote:There was also the lady on the Dell stand who really didn't know very much about the rather nice sub-notebook they had on display...
but the worst one was the HP lady on the Novell/SuSE stand who told me they couldn't sell me a notebook with no operating systems for legal reasons - sheer Micro$oft FUD !!!!!

Hmm, a conversation I had with a lady on the Novell stand ran something like this:

Novell: "And of course we now have SuSE10"
Me: "Ah, yes - and when exactly is that going to be available? I have it on pre-order."
Novell (proudly): "It's available today."
Me: "Yes, but when are people who have pre-ordered actually going to receive it? There are a lot of grumbles from people who have pre-ordered from the Novell site who are wondering when they are going to get it. "
Novell: "Oh, can you actually order direct from Novell?"

No comment !
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby overflow » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:30 am

linuxgirlie wrote:What about my hatred of women showing of there assets to make a sale or overflow not imagining me right

No need to worry. I was pleasantly surprised. Tech-savy girls are often intense, animated or slightly unusual characters. The same is true of blokes but the ratio is different because there are more of us in the business. You just seemed like a regular, intelligent person.

As for the promo girls; what's not to like? They brighted up the place which would have been almost entirely full of dreary looking blokes without them.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby j_minger » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:38 am

Great show - but seemed smaller than some of the previous years or is that just my imagination ?
Did anyone see who won the awards - I found it strange that there was a category of "Best Business Provider Solution" - couldnt work out what that was even supposed to mean, perhaps it was just too much business speak for me - but then one of the two nominees was Whole Ltd ( http://www.whole-uk.com/ ) - well done Whole, but still left me in the dark - could anyone enlighten me !
j_minger

Next

Return to Discussion