Christmas No. 1

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Christmas No. 1

Postby LoL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Since this is a family orientated place, I'm not going to post a link, but ... if you google the words youtube jarvis "running the world" singalong you'll quickly get the message

In the UK, you'll need to purchase the single from zero hour 12th December until midnight on the 18th December to ensure its place in the charts - £0.79 from Amazon

In other countries, your mileage may vary, as far as the necessary purchase period and cost are concerned, but why not see if you can get it to No. 1 in your homeland too?

What better way to show them you care, this Christmas, than to tell our political 'leaders' what we think of their performance so far by making this song the Christmas No. 1?

And, if it's a global phenomenon, it'll be even more difficult for them to dismiss
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Foul-mouthed rubbish.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm

roseway wrote:Foul-mouthed rubbish.

Indeed it is ... and not to my taste at all

But that's not the purpose of the exercise, is it?

I don't like Rage Against Your Mother and found F**k You, I Won't Tidy My Bedroom puerile ... but I still bought Killing In The Name last year to add my voice to protest against the current state of the music industry

It's not about approving of ... or even liking ... it, but about making a statement to the effect that we dislike and disapprove of their behaviour
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm

I`m with LoL on this...

Except AFAIK the "track" to compete with the Z Vector is already underway as 4 minutes of pure silence.

It is no sound primarily to silence the broadcasts of the total garbage that is transmitted to the LCDs.

Where-ever this track gets in the XMAS charts the broadcasters have to play it, or they will prove they are in the pockets of the Music Industry.

Very clever IMO.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Bazza wrote:Except AFAIK the "track" to compete with the Z Vector is already underway as 4 minutes of pure silence.

Well, this isn't a case of trying to ensure another song doesn't make it to the top spot, but about making a statement about what we think of the people running our world

Foul mouthed rubbish it may be [1], but if a nation (if not the whole World) were to choose it as its top hit for Christmas then, for once, I think there could be no better way to make clear the regard in which we hold them

I'd be interested to know what the four minutes of silence track is though - I'd buy that one too [2]

---

[1] I'm no fan of Cocker's

[2] Sadly, my feelings about the music industry haven't changed in the past year
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Keep an eye on this space and I will give more info as I get it.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm

LoL wrote:I'd be interested to know what the four minutes of silence track is though - I'd buy that one too [2]

Its John Cage's 4 minutes 33 seconds of silence, which was originally released as a single years ago.

Interestingly Mike Batt was accused for plagiarism years ago for 'sampling' silence on one of his tracks.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:16 pm

I think it'd be cool to try and get Weird Al Yankovic's song "The Night Santa Went Crazy" into the Christmas no.1 slot this year. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Mce9VpmY

For those of you who are wondering what song I'm talking about.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Well it looks like the 'alternative' vote is so widely divided that it will open up the number 1 slot to the usual dross from whatever talentless idiot wins "Britain's got the Strictly Factor, get me out of here"
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:58 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:Its John Cage's 4 minutes 33 seconds of silence

Oh, is that all? [1] - I thought it was some new and original work :wink:

Still ... if it means a 4'33" respite from all the drivel then, I suppose, it's a good thing

Doesn't make any difference to me - I turned the radio off in '83 [2] ... and haven't regretted it since [3]

Still ... I'll buy it anyway ... just to make the point

---

[1] I've nothing against Cage's piece, but I prefer Orbital's Criminal Justice Bill? myself

[2] When you think even Capital Radio is boringly inane then popular music radio really has nothing to offer you :wink:

[3] Not if the snippets I hear from (car) windows has been anything to go by anyway
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:Well it looks like the 'alternative' vote is so widely divided that it will open up the number 1 slot to the usual dross

The parallel with all the different linux distros is almost delightfully ironic

MartyBartfast wrote:from whatever talentless idiot wins "Britain's got the Strictly Factor, get me out of here"

Hmmm ... wonder if they'll ever do a fetish equivalent: Restricted Come Dancing? ... Strict Come Dancing?
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Bazza wrote:It is no sound primarily to silence the broadcasts of the total garbage that is transmitted to the LCDs.

Except that radio DJs have an inane compulsion to talk of any non-vocal sections at the start and end of a record. As bad as most chart music is, the thought of listening to DJs rabitting on for 4'33" is far worse :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby LoL » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am

nelz wrote:As bad as most chart music is, the thought of listening to DJs rabitting on for 4'33" is far worse :(

Bang on the nail, Nelz ... and just one more reason to go for the JC option

But, if I might make a point that will seem pedantic at first ... because it is ... you may come to appreciate that there is a need for pedantry on occasion and a reason to be grateful to those who practice it:

The thought of listening to DJs rabbiting on for 4'33" is not worse - That honour is reserved for having to listen to them rabbiting on ... for any length of time, never mind 4'33" ... for real [1]

---

[1] And is whi I, as I said, turned the radio off for good in '83
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I'd like to see a merger of Dancing on Ice and Shooting Stars.

We could call it "Dance on Ice well or you'll get shot!"

That'd cull the herd of lame celeb-wannabes.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 pm

LoL wrote:But, if I might make a point that will seem pedantic at first ... because it is ... you may come to appreciate that there is a need for pedantry on occasion and a reason to be grateful to those who practice it:

I am a firm believer in pedantry, but I also believe it is better to give than to receive :)

LoL wrote:The thought of listening to DJs rabbiting on for 4'33" is not worse - That honour is reserved for having to listen to them rabbiting on ... for any length of time, never mind 4'33" ... for real

I meant what I wrote, the mere thought of listening to them really is that bad. So bad that I would never actually subject myself to it, so your point it moot.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Off Topic