[SOLVED] Mifi hardware

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

[SOLVED] Mifi hardware

Postby loebus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Could someone please confirm or deny if the 3 mifi wireless broadband modem works well [easily] with ubuntu linux?

I have used one of there dongles before, but now I'm looking at this:

Seen on three website:
http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/deal ... e=DSLPP510

and seen on the argos site:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 490653.htm

Looking forward to your replies...
:D
Last edited by loebus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loebus
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 pm

It works with any flavour of Linux, because you connect to it with your wireless adaptor. As far as the computer is concerned, it is no different from connecting with your broadband wireless router at home.

The supplied software doesn't work in Linux, even with WINE when I tried, and you do need to use it at least once. That's because the standard ESSID and password are not particularly secure and should be changed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:39 pm

I had been pondering a Mifi, but since Froyo added much the same functionality to my phone, I've dropped the idea.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I got mine a while ago, and I still haven't got Froyo. Motorola are supposed to be releasing an update for the Droid around now, but no news of when there'll be a Milestone version.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby loebus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks for the info Nelz!

If it's like a normal wi-fi router, it should be possible to change ESSID and password with a web-interface?
loebus
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 am

loebus wrote:If it's like a normal wi-fi router, it should be possible to change ESSID and password with a web-interface?

It has no web interface, which makes sense as it has to ethernet port. the only wired connection is via USB and that needs the Windows software. Allowing any wireless router to be configured over a wireless connection is asking for trouble.
nelz
Site admin

Postby loebus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info Nelz
So I have to configure it wth my Windows XP PC, then my laptop and iPod will be able to see it.

BTW: The staff in "Three" were suprised when I told them I was using one of there dongles on a laptop running Ubuntu Linux! :D
loebus
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:23 pm

You can use it out of the box, I did with mine, it's just that the default settings are not particularly secure.
nelz
Site admin

Postby loebus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks!
All I have to now is find one on a offer!
loebus
LXF regular

Return to Hardware