Printer Fun

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Printer Fun

Postby russ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:12 pm

I have got a Dell 1320C Colour Laser printer. When printing normal text documents it is speedy and prints almost instantly. If I try to print graphics such as Jpegs or BMP or Tiffs it sits and waits forever. It can typically take up to 10 to 15 or more minutes before it starts to print. When the image comes out it is high quality and no problems otherwise.

I suspect that the problem lies in spooling to the printer, if I print using my Mono Samsung ML1610 there is no significant delay. Can someone guide me in simple steps how to sort this problem out?

Although I am not a great fan of Windows when I use the Windows partition and fire up XP it prints almost instantly.

I gather CUPS is responsible for print serving but seems to be a maze of other sub programs. Can you explain what is going on?
Russell B
russ

Postby ferrari » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am

I think this just comes down to the print driver concerned. Postscript dirvers for example, tend to be particularly slow, with the converison and typical large volumes of data involved for a particular print job.

Similar discussion here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-411815.html
ferrari
LXF regular

Return to Hardware