new laptop

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

new laptop

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:26 am

So I was thinking about getting a new laptop to go to uni with.

Then I saw this

I have had a look though google and there doesn't seem to be any problems with linux compatibility on the graphics side of things, etc, however there doesn't seem to be one website with all compatible hardware (an idea for the LXF people?) so I may be wrong

So does any body see any hardware problems, and has anyone got a touch screen working with linux (ubuntu 10.04, or maybe UNR)

Thanks
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 am

I'm not sure that I would buy any Crapard Hell machines, not had any good experiences with them :(
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/pb.html doesn't list any of the latest distros, so you could be a first ;)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby johnhudson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 am

As Packard Bell is now owned by Acer, whose machines work happily with Linux, I wouldn't expect any hardware problems. As you say, you may need to use a netbook distro to use the touchscreen facilities.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

towy71 wrote:I'm not sure that I would buy any Crapard Hell machines, not had any good experiences with them :(
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/pb.html doesn't list any of the latest distros, so you could be a first ;)

I had a packard bell (I think you may want to replace your spell checker!) in the past and it out lasted all other laptops brought by other poeple at the same time. It was also more powerfull than most others. Battery dead now, but I still pull it out now and again. Infact, battery only thing wrong with it (and it is slow by todays standards) Also their website was (may still be, haven't used it in ages) the easiest to find drivers and info about their products. Others you have to hunt high and low! Then it was the wrong version! Just my two pence or whatever the saying is nowadays.

I just saw on tux machines a link to a blog with the blue prints for ubuntu 10.10. More touchscreen support is quite high in the list! Yay!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Jolicloud for netbooks http://www.jolicloud.com/ is just out and has some touchscreen capabilities.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Hardware