Netbooks with Linux?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:29 am

Actually, the newer, more up to date netbooks are larger screens, large hard disks, and Windows only, but most of them have the same Atom processor and Intel chipset as the original ones.
The AA1 is an excellent netbook, and apparently the Acer refurbs are mainly user returns because they didn't have windows on them :).
I bought an AA1 with 8gb SSD, 9 cell battery and 1.5 Gb RAM on Amazon for £90, with a 3 month guarantee from an Amazon seller and it looks and performs like a brand new item.
That compares well with the going rate on Fleabay of about £150 with no guarantee.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby IBBoard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 pm

The larger screen is part of what I'd like, though. 10.1" seems reasonable from the range I saw in PC World, where as I've not seen the 8.9" in the flesh and it seems like it might be a bit small.

Thanks for the comments. I did suspect that the trend was towards Laptop-isation (Windows and a HDD).
IBBoard

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:05 pm

If I was currently in the market for a Netbook, I'd be buying one of these, or a close relative. The Nvidia ION chipset is a step up from the Intel ones and, at least as far as my Revo (which has ION) is concerned, works just fine with Linux and the Nvidia driver.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby IBBoard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Looks interesting, but I was looking in the £200-£250 range. It looks like the guide price for that is more like a proper laptop at ~£350.

I am quite interested in how all of these processors stack up, if anyone has any numbers. If everyone has their netbooks running pretty much the same these days then it won't make too much difference, but I've seen a few different model numbers floating around.
IBBoard

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Such as this?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby IBBoard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Looks like a better price than the original article :) Shame it's still an XP machine and a HDD, though.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being picky. I know the Netbook/SSD/Linux combo existed, I just want to find it again as a package that my wife will trust :)
IBBoard

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 pm

IBBoard wrote:Looks interesting, but I was looking in the £200-£250 range. It looks like the guide price for that is more like a proper laptop at ~£350.

The size is more like a "proper laptop" too. It seems the original concept of the netbook has been forgotten and they are turning into slightly smaller laptops :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Shame really, I find the AA1 almost perfect in terms of size and weight.
The new contenders are far too large and too heavy.
Netbook sales are slowing, apparently, could that be because they are becoming small notebooks instead of Netbooks?
Or is it because of the iPhad?

Edit: apparently, Dell are only supplying Linux pre-installed on business channel products. Interesting.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Hardware