A question about OpenSolaris

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A question about OpenSolaris

Postby snake » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Dear friends,

Although I have been reading these forums for quite a while, it is the first time that I decide to overcome my hesitation and post a message. I come from Greece, so please be a bit patient with my use of English.
I am a regular reader of the Greek version of LXF and I am very glad to see that the magazine does not always focus solely on Linux, but there are also articles on other similar OSes from time to time.
I am planning to switch to OpenSolaris from Linux, so I would like to ask if anyone of you has ever managed to make a Samsung ML-2010 printer work under OpenSolaris.
The model number is not explicitly mentioned in the Solaris HCL, but Samsung provides drivers which work perfectly under Linux and they seem to be 100% CUPS compatible.
Hence, since there is a PPD file I can download from their web site, why shouldn't the printer be able to work under Opensolaris ?

Best regards to you all,
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Theodoros Tsioupros ( Chalkis - Greece )
snake

Postby LeeNukes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:22 pm

What is your reason for wanting to move to OpenSolaris? I think its best to understand all of the limitation of OpenSolaris (and benefits) before you settling on moving.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Note also that Oracle is moving towards making Solaris closed; so you may find reduced support.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Other OS