Dumbest thing you have ever done...with a computer.....

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...with

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:05 am

Yes, it was an SX-1. the reason I was given 2 was that the first one broke after a few weeks.

The CD drive was the slowest ever built, and Commodore must have been proud of it. Why else would they have put a window in the top so you could see it struggling to read the discs? :shock:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:04 pm

A quote from a friend of mine with a 2 year old son:
"Why do they make cream crackers the same size as a floppy disk?"
and for more:
http://www.clientcopia.com/
:o
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:14 pm

Dumbest thing thing with a PC - believed 'mates' who said they could fix things. On one occasion got the PC back, in pieces, in a box, the other time ended up with a blank harddrive and deep scratches across the OS CD so it was unusable. Thanks mates! After that, offers of 'help' were greeted with, "Sure, you give me a 100 quid deposit, and if your 'fix' works, you can have your money back."
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby guy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:44 pm

I once put an Athlon heatsink on the wrong way round. Darn thing latched home so I didn't notice. Repeated reboots to diagnose the pained beeping finally took it down - together with the motherboard FSB and so on to the graphics card as well. Now that was expensive!

The other dumb thing was to lend someone my Sinclair Interface 2. Probably even more expensive!
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:08 pm

I have a list of dumb things I have done:
When repairing a customer's PC I used a screwdriver as a power switch I slipped and shorted the wrong pins, there was a rather loud bang followed by some smoke.
Someone booked a machine in to be upgraded, plugged it in and the PSU made a bang with a component flying out the fan, the guy booked it in wrong, it was a PSU failure.
Dropped a brand new PC case on its facing, smashing it.
Touched the heatsink of a machine with fan failure that had been in a rack who's temperature was over 40 degrees C (the rack temp, not the HS temp!).
Back when I was in school someone decided to scan their arse, back then scanners took 10 minutes and his bum was rather hot afterwards :)
Played HDD footie at work today while the drive was running a Maxtor diag, it failed the test for some reason :)
Oh yea, and the dumbest thing I ever did was install Windows.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby ggreaves » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:50 pm

have we done install windows xp?
ggreaves
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dumbest thing you have ever done...w

Postby alloydog » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:32 pm

A-Wing wrote:I have a list of dumb things I have done:
When repairing a customer's PC I used a screwdriver as a power switch I slipped and shorted the wrong pins, there was a rather loud bang followed by some smoke.
Someone booked a machine in to be upgraded, plugged it in and the PSU made a bang with a component flying out the fan, the guy booked it in wrong, it was a PSU failure.
Dropped a brand new PC case on its facing, smashing it.
Touched the heatsink of a machine with fan failure that had been in a rack who's temperature was over 40 degrees C (the rack temp, not the HS temp!).

Sooo, remind us where you work, again. We'll take our problems to [i]PC World/I], it sounds safer (marginally)...
alloydog
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion