Coding Academy - Fell at first hurdle!

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Coding Academy - Fell at first hurdle!

Postby Cheemag » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello,

:o( I didn't get past the first fence with the ToDoList project in Linux Mint:

/ There is always one thing to remember: \
| writers are always selling somebody |
| out. |
| |
| -- Joan Didion, "Slouching Towards |
\ Bethlehem" /
----------------------------------------
\ ,__,
\ (oo)____
(__) )\
||--|| *
mint@mint ~ $ cd/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug
bash: cd/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug: No such file or directory
mint@mint ~ $

------------------

I had no better luck in PCLinuxOS:

[jim@localhost ~]$ cd ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug
bash: cd: ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug: No such file or directory
[jim@localhost ~]$

Also (2nd page, 1st column) There's no "Run" option in the Project menu. Run is a menu in its own right.

Same column under "Reading from a file", it wasn't clear that
"goto Applications>Accessories>Terminal" wasn't a option in Mono, but a system option. Didn't help me tho'
Regards,

Cheemag.

Linux Mint-8 on a key-drive.
PCLinuxOS 2009-2.
Windows XP Home SP2
User avatar
Cheemag
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Postby Ram » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Have a look at this thread.

As for the location of the Run command, it used to be in the Project Menu prior to MonoDevelop 2.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
User avatar
Ram
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Guisborough

Postby Cheemag » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 am

Ram wrote:Have a look at this thread.

Doesn't help. I expect that directory location was meant to be used in the programming environment run from the cover CD rather than with Mono installed on a system.

I'll do a file search.

Ram wrote:As for the location of the Run command, it used to be in the Project Menu prior to MonoDevelop 2.


OK, thanks.
Regards,

Cheemag.

Linux Mint-8 on a key-drive.
PCLinuxOS 2009-2.
Windows XP Home SP2
User avatar
Cheemag
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Postby Ram » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Cheemag wrote:
Ram wrote:Have a look at this thread.

Doesn't help. I expect that directory location was meant to be used in the programming environment run from the cover CD rather than with Mono installed on a system.

I'll do a file search.



OK then, the easy way to find where the file is store is:

Open your todolist project in MonoDevlop
Goto menu Project
Select Option
Click General in the left hand pane.
Look to the bottom right Location, this where your files are.
cd into the Debug folder from the above location

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
User avatar
Ram
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Guisborough

Postby Cheemag » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Ram wrote:OK then, the easy way to find where the file is store is:

Open your todolist project in MonoDevlop
Goto menu Project
Select Option
Click General in the left hand pane.
Look to the bottom right Location, this where your files are.
cd into the Debug folder from the above location


Thanks. I'll go and have a look.
Regards,

Cheemag.

Linux Mint-8 on a key-drive.
PCLinuxOS 2009-2.
Windows XP Home SP2
User avatar
Cheemag
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Postby random_excess23 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:28 am

Hi Cheemag

There appears to be a misprint in the magazine, try typing:

cd Projects/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug
random_excess23
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 am

Postby Ram » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:37 am

random_excess23 wrote:Hi Cheemag

There appears to be a misprint in the magazine, try typing:

cd Projects/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug


That's not the directory, he's using his own distro of Mint, not running it from the cdrom.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
User avatar
Ram
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Guisborough

Postby Cheemag » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am

Ram wrote:
random_excess23 wrote:Hi Cheemag

There appears to be a misprint in the magazine, try typing:

cd Projects/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug


That's not the directory, he's using his own distro of Mint, not running it from the cdrom.


PCLinuxOS acutally.

I've put this aside for the moment. I hope to come back to it soon.

I wish they had chosen something other than C#, perhaps Python? I've always hated C !!
Regards,

Cheemag.

Linux Mint-8 on a key-drive.
PCLinuxOS 2009-2.
Windows XP Home SP2
User avatar
Cheemag
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Location: English Region, EU

Postby cncman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 am

I'm using PCLinuxOS 2009.2
cd Projects/ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug

worked for me.

However,
./ToDoList.exe hello from mono

gives me
bash: ./ToDoList.exe: cannot execute binary file

I just got my Coding Academy kit tonight & haven't had time to try it on the Ubuntu DVD yet.
The only thing smart about me is... I know where to find the answers.
cncman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

Postby Ram » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 am

cncman try running it like this

mono ToDoList.exe hello from mono

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
User avatar
Ram
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Guisborough

Postby cncman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Hey Ram,

I'll give it a try.

I did get the Codding Academy DVD up and running and, naturally, the command from the magazine does work there.
So, Understanding the the DVD is specially configured for the purpose of codding... What changes would I need to make to my Distro to allow it to work for the same purpose?
The only thing smart about me is... I know where to find the answers.
cncman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

Postby cncman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

mono ToDoList.exe hello from mono

I just wanted to confirm that running the commands like this does work in PCLinuxOS2009.2.
The only thing smart about me is... I know where to find the answers.
cncman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am


Return to Programming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron