LXF126 Windows VII - Native Display Resolution

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF126 Windows VII - Native Display Resolution

Postby dogbert007 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:17 am

I was reading an article on page 121 about Windows VII, and I see where the Author states that Windows VII fails to achieve native resolution. I found this link to an article that explains this is due to the cable:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0 ... dID=344773

Please provide more links about the Windows Native Resolution issues. I wondering if this link helps.

I would like to mention that I am not a Windows 7 user.
dogbert007

Postby ollie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:18 am

I think you're posting in the wrong forum :wink: LXF126 only has 116 pages total. LXF doesn't really address Windows 7 issues unless they are related to dual booting issues.
ollie

Postby dogbert007 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:05 am

Oh yes, it is page 21. Actually I misread the pipe as a 1 somehow. Rather bad of me, but none the less my question remains. Does Windows VII have a display issue? Or is that a cable thing? If you read the article on page 21 (not |21), it does bring up the issue.
dogbert007

Postby ollie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 am

Sorry, I skipped Graham's article when trying to check what you were talking about :oops: I agree it can also be the cabling and all other hardware components in the chain not correctly reporting their "HD compliance". This is part of the DRM being implemented to "stop" digital "piracy*" by ensuring that devices can't record HD signals.

* There is no such thing as piracy of digital data, it is intellectual property infringement. Piracy, by definition, must take place at sea and involve robbery. It is the film and music industry that is using the term piracy because it is an emotive word, especially with the increase of true piracy around Somalia and Asia.
ollie

Postby dogbert007 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:40 am

Interesting point about the DRM. What I appreciate about this is that somebody answered me. On the LinuxUser magazine forum, they wouldn't have even answered most likely. Their forum is all but dead, and I assume their reader base is too. Well Graham's article is short mate, read it if you like, only take you a second or 90 to do so. :D

Dogbert!
dogbert007

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:55 am

At a glance, the DVI/VGA adapter would be the most likely culprit.
They frequently fail to pass EDID signal info properly.
I have had similar problems with KVM switches.
Puzzled as to why this is relevant at all in a Linux forum though, which is why most people wouldn't answer it.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby dogbert007 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Well that makes it sound like a generic hardware problem mate, and this is the hardware forum is it not? Also when there is an article on the limitations of Windows VII that is really a hardware limitation, it then affects Linux to no? Maybe the title of the post needs to change to DRM and DVI problems or something.
dogbert007

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:27 pm

dogbert007 wrote:Well that makes it sound like a generic hardware problem mate, and this is the hardware forum is it not? Also when there is an article on the limitations of Windows VII that is really a hardware limitation, it then affects Linux to no? Maybe the title of the post needs to change to DRM and DVI problems or something.

No, this is not a generic hardware forum , it is a hardware thread within a Linux forum.
Windows is largely irrelevant.
Posting a "Ubuntu won't work with this" on a Windows forum would be similarly ignored.

As it is, it seems to be faulty hardware, so totally irrelevant.
HDMI TVs with HDCP enabled will refuse all sorts of signals, again irrelevant to Linux.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:19 pm

Moved to Other OS to kill the argument!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby dogbert007 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Please move this post to Other OS in that case. Apologies.
dogbert007

Return to Other OS