Magazine without discs?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Magazine without discs?

Postby comcamel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:54 am

I cannot afford to pay about £5.00 for a magazine, if so i would be skint. I would only buy a magazine if it had something really, i mean really good in it, but i would like if i could buy linuxformat every month.

I have asked about getting linuxformat as an online like pdf or whatever, that isn't possible. Since i have broadband, i can easily download distros and any thing that looks intresting, so is there any way i get the magazine without discs? This would hopefully getat least £1-2 and i am willing to pay for £3.00

or could you say like in the magazine that members can sell their read magazines on ebay...
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Magazine without discs?

Postby A-Wing » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:43 pm

legally you can sell your read magazines on ebay.
I have asked for this as have several others, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. Just think of the huge profit they make from the DVD release alone, that is enough reason not to do a discless version for them.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby drws » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Don't the CD/DVDs on magazines cost less than 50p for the publishers?
So you could have a no cd/dvd version but it might cost £5.49 instead of £5.99 etc.
But in terms of visability on the shop shelf, a new reader will spot £5.49 for linux format with no disc, yet £5.99 gets 'em generic_linux_mag_no7 but it has a DVD! :) - surely worth that extra 50p

Maybe the magazines should look at having a xmas bumper edition that contains the last 12 months issues in PDF format on the attached CD. You'd have to wait a while to get the issues, but at least you'd get them cheaper.

I don't know if the subscription price would be closer to what you can afford.
Prehaps finding a mate to share the subscription with etc...
drws
LXF regular

Postby andychannelle » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 pm

Subscription sharing is a great idea (it's how I used to get New Scientist every week).
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:38 pm

or least possibly to retain the magazines profits, so that the linux format team can retain profits and produce these brilliant magazines, is by getting the future publishing company to retain say a thousand and offer 1 month linux format magazines for a much cheap price or possibly a good idea like you said, if you say signup for like the 12 months deal, you can download all the older magazines before.

however since linux is basically free, it would be greatful if somehow i could get the magazine cheaper.
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:03 am

As you're getting your software for nothing, you should have more spare cash for magazines :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ollie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:01 am

I think £5.99 is quite cheap for Linux Format off the shelf, I have the International subscription for £85 which converts to $AU204.07 (in today's rate). I stuffed up my renewal and missed one month, I just got it off the shelf at the only local newsagency that stocks Linux Format for $AU24.50 which works out at £10.20. There is no way I would consider paying this amount of money for a magazine without a DVD when the local APC (Australian Personal Computer) costs $AU9.80 with DVD and PC Authority costs $AU8.95 with two CDs.

Just some downunder perspective :D
ollie

Postby andrewmoore2 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Of course there is always http://www.tuxmagazine.com/ :D

Enjoy.

Andy.
andrewmoore2

Postby alloydog » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:24 pm

For me, a copy of Linux Format, and most other computer magazines, with CDs or DVD costs nearly EUR 18.00
However, other Linux magazines that do not come with any discs cost between EUR 7.00 to EUR 9.00 - I refuse to believe a DVD, even in a plastic case, weights as much as a magazine.

The alternative, is to get a UK subscription, sent to a address and then posted on - which if done so within four days, only costs the additional postage, which is about a pound (EUR 1.60), rather than the whole lot.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:54 am

ollie ...

>>
I just got it off the shelf at the only local newsagency that stocks Linux Format for $AU24.50
>>

Good grief. Thats outrageous. $17:95 in Sydney. An always in good condition.

Untill now ...

Something really strange has happened to the LXF69 August issue. The cdrom version has been on the shelves for almost a couple of weeks, but there's __no__ DVD version anywhere. And all the News Agents don't seem to know anything about it, or care as well.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:09 am

jjmac ...

That's why I went to the subscription last year at £90, but the conversion rate was a bit worse :( .

I have seen this happen on a number of occassions, the DVD version usually arrives about four weeks later - just after purchasing the CD version :( .

*whisper* I have the August DVD if you need a copy and can't find one in Sydney :) , just cost the postage :) *whisper*
ollie

Postby Hyde » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:24 am

comcamel i think your best bet is asking the people in your local LUG if they have/get linux format and borrowing/buying it off them. i know my local LUG does the same thing with linux books.
Hyde

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs