Fedora 4 now that's nice!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Fedora 4 now that's nice!

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi All,
Particularly any 'noobs' that may have have got here via the Mandriva LE 2005 discs. I just purchased a copy of the 'Sams Teach Yourself' Fedora 4. It comes with a huge manual and an OS on a DVD. It cost £20 all-in from Pearson's Education, on-line. It's loaded beautifully and looks very nice.

I haven't had a play with it yet, but highly recommend it. It was the loading that did it for me. It ensured I could hear sounds during install, now I need to go and look at the DVD parts of it.

Updated on-line most excellently. VERY unlike Mandriva, though I am getting used to that one. I'm lucky enough to have a small network and so can dual boot with a few OS. If this had been my first sample of Linux I would have dropped W*****s IMMEDIATELY. But, I may be just on a high, after installing with no...'what the Fanny Adams is all that about?'

This OS should be a newbies entry to the world of Linux. Though I did get here via the Mandriva LE 2005 from Linux Format and very pleased I am too. Can't see me having to reload this too many times nelz!

I'll post with an update after I've had a play.

Regards, Pete.

PS: Linuxgirlie? Your parents would probably like this! I'm guessing here, but they are possibly round about my age. My problem is the reverse of yours...I can't get my sons interested in ANY thing other than Whinedoze.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Re: Fedora 4 now that's nice!

Postby RD » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm

PS: Linuxgirlie? Your parents would probably like this! I'm guessing here, but they are possibly round about my age. My problem is the reverse of yours...I can't get my sons interested in ANY thing other than Whinedoze.

Im glad you like FC 4! :D the reason i quoted the above because you say that you cannot get them intersted in linux, have you shown them some of the wonderful things it can do ? also shown them there best apps/games running under Linux (as long as there supported by the wine project)? (im sure you have :D).

Any way hope you enjoy FC 4 and it brings you the skills you wish to aquire :D
RD
LXF regular

Re: Fedora 4 now that's nice!

Postby alloydog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 pm

I'm in the same boat - my kids say they would use LInux, if they could play their games (mainly Counter Strike) without too much hassle. The oldest tried Mandrake 10.1 before it became Mandriva, but couldn't get anything to work (with Wine), nor could he get the Linux version of America's Army to work.
alloydog
LXF regular

RE: Re: Fedora 4 now that

Postby RD » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:55 pm

I have no problem with Counter Strike and cedega all i do to install it is

$cedgea /path/to/cdrom/Steam.exe follow on screen instructions then

$cedgea /path/to/cdrom/hl2.exe will install hl2 and css then simply start cs from the desktop short cut :D there is a great tutorial on linux-gamers.net
RD
LXF regular

RE: Re: Fedora 4 now that

Postby alloydog » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:04 am

Groovey stuff, I'll look into it. thanks.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:10 am

Hello RD & alloydog,

My sprogs can be quite unadventurous at times. Preferring the 'all-in' package of MS stuff. I can understand - partly - because I've just discovered that Fedora 4 doesn't support DVD play. No matter though, I'm learning all the time about each distro's little peculiarities and they are quite endearing. And it isn't as if the cost bankrupts anyone!

With MS - I find - you tend to stagnate a bit once you're into the swing of things? However, Linux keeps you on your toes and it's quite addictive trying each different set up. I really did like how Fedora set itself up though...neat.

Ah well, onward and upwards. Got lots to read today!

Have fun, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi eastcoastdrifter

Glad to hear you're up and running with FC4.

You might be interested in casting your eye over http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=709&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 where you'll come across views to the effect that FC4 is perhaps not suitable for newbies, which I find slightly hard to understand myself.

Now how long will it be before your first reinstall, I wonder ! :D

Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:35 pm

Re-install...me?
I'm reinstalling as I type :lol:

I like to re/install a few times and all at 'Default' level (because I do weird things to the HDDs to test them out). And I can say with some truth, that Fedora installs better than Mandriva (for me). Although, I think I'm trying to run before walking...trying to 'triple-boot' And it didn't work. So I've decided to dual-boot on two PCs: XP/Linux on each. Till I get more confident.

I followed your link, liked your bit defending Fedora as ok for beginners. I'm not sure I followed all the technical side of the discussion. But I'd rate F4 as ok for beginners too. This was the kind of intro to Linux that I expected from Mandriva.

I've got a reply from someone who may be interested in having a dual-boot with their Windows OS. So I'll have a looksee which of the two I'd recommend and, what they want from it too.

The only downside is...there doesn't appear to be any support for DVD playback on F4. No matter, the book was worth the price on it's own. And sound, is really good.

Thanks for your comments. I'll start a tally if you're interested in my reload count :P

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby RD » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:59 pm

For dvd you will need a dvd player xine/mplayer etc and libdvdcss to play some retail dvds FC dont support a lot of things due to Licenses and some stuff ilegal in some countries :D nip along to rpmfind.net and look there :D you will also need the mp3 rpms to play mp3's
RD
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanx RD,
I'm quite a way off doing anything more than just poking around for starters. I'm quite new to all this and, I've a large manual to consume!

I'll take your pieces of advice though and add them to my inventory.

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:19 pm

You can also get xine from the freshrpms repository.

As root, in a console, type:
rpm -ihv http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4 ... noarch.rpm (that whole lot starting from rpm -ihv should all be on one line - it splits it up here and underlines the http bit)
and hit Enter
Stuff will appear on the screen. When it finishes you can then type:
yum install xine

Much more stuff will appear on the screen but finally you will have xine plus its dependencies installed.

One thing that is puzzlling me now is I don't actually remember installing libdvdcss separately although I know I have it on my system, so I'm not sure if it gets installed alongside xine automatically.
If not, you can pick it up from http://stentz.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=404

Then if you want DVDs to autoplay in xine when you insert them, go to Desktop > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media, select the Multimedia tab, check the box beside "Play video DVD disks when inserted", delete totem dvd:// and type in xine dvd:// (without the underlinings which appear here)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby RD » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:50 pm

>>Then if you want DVDs to autoplay in xine when you insert them, go to Desktop > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media, select the Multimedia tab, check the box beside "Play video DVD disks when inserted", delete totem dvd:// and type in xine dvd:// (without the underlinings which appear here)

You should not need to do that :? libdvdcss is for decrypting the encryption keys with some dvd films. the last time i played with RH os all you needed to do to watch dvds was simply install libdvdcss and bingo start xine enjoy :D of course it helps with mplayer installed (or just the dep's ie transcode, mencoder etc) now a days i simply apt-get install libdvdcss && mplayer and jobs done :D
RD
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:11 am

Thanx very much for the replies chaps (and {I'm a lady chap} M :D )

Keep those strings of code/instructions coming in...cos I haven't the foggiest how you string them together! That, for me, is the black art of Linux. When I get my head round that, I'll be laffin'. I'm collecting a good glossary though.

Today, I am (hopefully) reinstalling for the last time - for a while anyway :?:

Dual-booting on this PC with Mandriva + XP (now set up permanently). And trying a triple on another, failing that. A dual with Fedora + XP on it.

Have fun Peeps!

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:27 am

RD wrote:>>Then if you want DVDs to autoplay in xine when you insert them, go to Desktop > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media, select the Multimedia tab, check the box beside "Play video DVD disks when inserted", delete totem dvd:// and type in xine dvd:// (without the underlinings which appear here)

You should not need to do that :? libdvdcss is for decrypting the encryption keys with some dvd films. the last time i played with RH os all you needed to do to watch dvds was simply install libdvdcss and bingo start xine enjoy :D of course it helps with mplayer installed (or just the dep's ie transcode, mencoder etc) now a days i simply apt-get install libdvdcss && mplayer and jobs done :D

Hi RD

The way my FC4 was set up by default was to have the "Play video DVD disks when inserted" (in Preferences) unchecked, so when I put a DVD in the drive it prevented it from autoplaying. I had to manually open up xine and then click on the DVD button to get it to play. I went into Preferences and checked the box - which, as totem was already entered, meant that program would automatically play DVDs, which I didn't want, so I substituted xine for totem.

That's what I was referring to above - setting up DVDs to autoplay in your favourite program, which is a separate issue from libdvdcss. :D

Cheers
Marrea
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:08 pm

Hey Marrea!
Thanks a million times over. I was awestruck when it all started. And yes, the libdvdcss files do come down with everything. I watched all the lines as they unfolded. That is pure magic to me. From no dvd playback and typing some words in...all this happens and the result is just mind-blowing.
You're certainly no novice in my book! I can just about string both parts of my name together, the command stuff just baffles me.

The only downside (there had to be one) sound has disappeared on Fedora (and it isn't the settings in the BIOS this time). But don't worry - as if :D I'll try and sort it out.
You've done the hardest part. Have an extra ginger biscuit with your cup o' char tonight...on me :D

My very best regards to you,
Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion