Open source drivers for graphic cards?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Open source drivers for graphic cards?

Postby janne » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:52 pm

I'm going to buy a new graphics card soon. Some time ago I read something about different vendors having different attitudes to open source. I would like to support a vendor that has a positive attitude to Linux. (Itś my money.)

What I need is a card with very good 2D performance (really sharp and stable).
I prefer a card with PCI express interface if possible.
Recommendations?

/Janne
janne

RE: Open source drivers for graphic cards?

Postby Gordon » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:55 pm

There are now some PCI express cards out there with the nVidia chipsets on them. nVidia have been very good with driver support for their chipsets on AGP cards. These give good 2D and good 3D (OpenGL) performance. It may be worth looking at cards with nVidia chips.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:58 pm

First look at the version of X you will be/are using. In a lot of cases, XFree86 and X.org support the same graphics adpaters, and for the ones they don't you can still get basic VGA operation - You will porbably restricted as to what resolution and colours are possible, and whether hardware acceleration is availble.

Both groups publish full lists of what adapters are supported and how full the support is.

For cards that have problematic support, that is the manufactures will not release any details and no one has been able to work something out, sometimes the manufacture themselves will provide the necessary driver modules.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:59 pm

nVidia all the way, never let me down, have a 5600fx at the moment am just about to upgrade to a 6600gt they have the drivers etc or they come with bought additions for example mandriva. Just remember its not the card your buying its a chipset, for example if you go to www.dabs.com/uk (the best in my opinion) you can get a dabs value really cheap, which is the exact same as a more expensive card...
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:40 pm

The nVidia drivers are not open source though. Some people have a problem with this, but it was the only way nVidia could release Linux drivers that give the same performance as the Windows ones. Some of the 3D code is proprietary, licensed from another company, so they are unable to release the source.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby janne » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:51 am

Thank you for your replies.
I have experience with Matrox and ATI cards under Linux and they work good enough for me. I had a nVidia card a few years ago but it was not sharp enough for 1600x1200 resolution. The explanation I got from my supplier is that the nVidia card was a good 3D card but not very good for 2D.

I have checked both www.x.org and www.xfree86.org but couldn't find any compatibility lists. Maybe I didn't try hard enough?

Both ATI and Matrox have drivers for Linux but the big question remain, which company is most Linux friendly? I realise that my action in this case will make very little difference in the graphics card market but if all of us try to buy the products with the best Linux support things will change.

/Janne
janne

Postby alloydog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:20 am

You need to go to the respective Release notes and then to the section titled "Video drivers":
XFree86
X.org
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby janne » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am

Thank you!
I will check.
/Janne
janne

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 am

I would say nVidia are the most Linux friendly. They have their own drivers for Linux, which they update frequently, what more could you ask for? (apart form the source, which is out of the question).
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby alloydog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:02 pm

Was it SiS who ripped of Thomas Winischhofer's drivers & posted them on their own site without any sort of credit to him?
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:52 pm

Agree with nelz, Nvidia is the most linux friendly, I havent had a problem once with upgrading my driver, I dont particularly care about it being open source and understand the reasons so they do ok in my books :D

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby pau1ie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:30 pm

I believe intel graphics chips have open source drivers. My wifes PC has integrated graphics with an intel card and that works with a default kernel. I have an nvidia card, but I intend my next graphics card to have open source drivers, even if it is more expensive or performs less well, because I believe it is important to encourage industry to open source drivers. Also you may not realise that your kernel will not be supported if you use Nvidia drivers, as they install a kernel module which has the capability to do pretty much anything including corrupting memory used by other kernel modules, and since the source is not available there would be no way of fixing it.

Its a difficult problem though, please post what you decide in the end.

PaulH
pau1ie

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:41 pm

I dont think intel do open source drivers, because your pc works with intergrated graphics doesnt make it OS it could just be that someone wrote a driver for it.....sorry if I got the wrong end of what you were saying?!

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby pau1ie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:47 pm

Linuxgirlie: I think you're right - they dont release open source dirers themselves, but they release enough specs for people to do drivers even of 3d bits (Tuxracer works on it). If anyone knows a company that does open source drivers for their own graphics cards that would be even better.
pau1ie

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:54 pm

I was just reading about one will get back with the address........

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Next

Return to Hardware