Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby syntext » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm

WOODINVILLE, Wash., May 21 - Syntext, Inc. (http://www.syntext.com) announces the release of a Free Edition of Serna WYSIWYG XML editor. Serna Free provides a lightweight solution for students, open source developers, and other users to work with DITA, DocBook, and other popular XML formats.

Together with the release of Serna Enterprise 4, Syntext has provided the XML community with Serna Free Edition that has all the essential features necessary for individual authors. The current Serna Free functionality makes it the most powerful free XML editor available. At any time, authors can upgrade their Serna Free to the Enterprise Edition, which enables enterprise-oriented features such as integration with content management systems, collaborative authoring, and powerful customization APIs and tools.

"The Free Edition not only offers a professional-level tool to a broad audience, but it also allows individual and corporate users to freely exchange XML documents to browse, modify and publish them using a truly free tool," says Paul Antonov, Syntext CEO. "This becomes especially important with the increasingly widespread acceptance of DITA as a standard of choice for technical documentation and help systems."

Serna was the world's first WYSIWYG XML editor to incorporate the on-the-fly XSL-driven technology for extremely flexible presentation, profiling, and rendering of composite XML documents. This is particularly indispensable for topic-oriented authoring with DITA because Serna may present documents consisting of a multitude of small topics and links in a single, transparent view.

Syntext Serna Free is a cross-platform application that works on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Sun Solaris/SPARC. The key features of Syntext Serna include: out-of-the-box support for DITA, DocBook, and other leading XML standards; use of XSLT/XSL-FO for document visualization; on-the-fly XML Schema validation; drag-and-drop with on-the-fly validation; support for XML catalogs; intuitive customizable GUI localized into several languages; entity and XInclude in-place editing; multilingual spell checking; UNICODE support. For detailed information about Serna Free, visit http://www.syntext.com/products/serna-free/ .

About Syntext

Syntext, Inc. is a private American company founded in Seattle, Washington in 1999. Syntext's mission is to develop software for XML content authoring solutions and related services. Visit http://www.syntext.com/about/ for more information.

Paul Antonov
1 (425) 749 7449
adv@syntext.com
syntext

RE: Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby CJLL » Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm

where is the source code download?
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

RE: Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby Rhakios » Thu May 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Free as in beer, not as in freedom. Or to put it another way, bait to catch those who might think they need the enterprise version for a paltry $559 plus $149 for the maintenance support package, which is "mandatory for the first year".

Glad to say kxmledit does for my modest needs.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby syntext » Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 pm

CJLL wrote:where is the source code download?

You can download a package here:
http://syntext.com/downloads/serna/

Rhakios, we are planning to announce enterprise version of Syntext Serna in a separate announcement, cos it has different functionality. Thank you for you proposal.
Syntext Team
syntext

Re: RE: Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby syntext » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Rhakios wrote:Free as in beer, not as in freedom. Or to put it another way, bait to catch those who might think they need the enterprise version for a paltry $559 plus $149 for the maintenance support package, which is "mandatory for the first year".

Glad to say kxmledit does for my modest needs.

Will be free, as in freedom, soon:

Serna Free XML Editor Goes Open Source to Make XML Accessible for Everyone! http://www.syntext.com/about/news/open-source/
Syntext Team
syntext

RE: Re: RE: Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Also see here for a discussion of the important matter as to which licence they intend to use.

Good news in any event. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Serna for Ubuntu

Postby Tallbob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Hello,

I have Ubuntu Linux and wanted to get Serna Open Source running. I couldn't get the rpm package to run. I tried alien but all I got was a series of errors. Is there a deb package for Serna? Do I have to think about switching to another distro? Thanks for your consideration.

Bob
Tallbob

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:03 pm

Which version of Ubuntu?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Serna for Ubuntu

Postby Tallbob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (kernal 2-6-28-13). I'm just getting into Linux and I thought XML and Serna would make a good app to experiment with.
Tallbob

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmm, also, 32-bit or 64-bit?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Tallbob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:51 pm

64 bit.
Tallbob

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Hmm, it seems to install and run fine on openSUSE11.0 64-bit, but then I have a lot of 32bit comapt libs installed already. Why not download the tgz version, try installing that and then try running it from the command line. If it cops out, it will show you some sort of error message, so you post that here and we'll be a little further along.
I only have a 32-bit VM of Jaunty to play with and it installs and runs just fine form the tgz installer there.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Still unable to install Serna

Postby Tallbob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 am

I tried installing again, here is a paste from the terminal window

bob@bob-laptop:~$ sudo /home/bob/SernaTgz/serna-4.1/install.sh
Enter installation prefix [/usr/local]:
Installing Serna to: /usr/local/serna-4.1
gzip: /home/bob/serna-4.1.tgz: No such file or directory
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Installation aborted

Here is a paste from the install text file:
REQUIREMENTS:

- glibc: 2.2.0 or higher
- freetype: 2.0.0 or higher
- XFree86-libs: 4.1.0 or higher

INSTALLATION:

- TGZ package is unpacked to directory "serna-@DISTVERSION@"
(command: tar xvfz serna-4.1.0-20090701.tgz).
Change to this directory and run installation script:

./install.sh

- On input provide installation path, or merely hit Enter if
"/usr/local" is OK for you.

- Log out root.

Your help is appreciated. I should warn you I'm a newb in Linux. I'm sure there is just something simple I'm missing here.
Tallbob

Re: Still unable to install Serna

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 am

Tallbob wrote:bob@bob-laptop:~$ sudo /home/bob/SernaTgz/serna-4.1/install.sh

Change to this directory and run installation script:

./install.sh

Looks like you missed this part.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Almost there

Postby Tallbob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 am

Ok, I think we're getting closer. It looks like the installation is complete. Here is a paste from the terminal window.

Code: Select all
bob@bob-laptop:~/SernaTgz/serna-4.1$ sudo ./install.sh
Enter installation prefix [/usr/local]:
Installing Serna to: /usr/local/serna-4.1
exec: 37: /usr/local/serna-4.1/bin/serna.bin: not found
Installation is finished. Run Serna as:  /usr/local/bin/serna-4.1

Excuse my stupidity, what do I do now? There should be an executable to run or something.
Tallbob

Next

Return to Announcements