Linux desktop article

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Linux desktop article

Postby Rhakios » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:27 pm

Linspire installed very easily, the only problem was caused by me not filling in a dialog correctly for the network settings. However, bl**dy bouncing systray icon :x :x will you effing well go away! Got that turned off. It seems they want some money for click-and-run and while it says that "most" updates will be distributed for free via CNR whenever possible, whether you have a paid-for CNR account or not, the only update available was one for errm CNR. I hope you don't have to pay for CNR if you've paid for the distro.

One of the first things that pops up after installation and some registration questions is a full-screen video thing (which I closed before it got anywhere), a lot like a fresh install of Windows really. I have yet to see if Linspire's functionality matches the hype.

I will probably get round to having another look at it at the weekend.

Edit: I have refrained from commenting on some of its filesystem weirdnesses, like the swap file in /boot - well alright I have commented on it now, but I could have mentioned more ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:10 pm

I am pretty sure from what I have read you have to pay for any files coming from CNR, I could be wrong and they may of changed this but thats what put me off the distro in the first place...
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:07 pm

I would copy the text from this page but it's part of an image, not actual text. Still, it says pretty much what I said above, I should have made clear that I meant security updates.
I'm not against the subscription model and CNR gold works out cheaper than Mandriva Club standard, to which it is roughly comparable (very roughly).
I think I still prefer Xandros (as a Windows alternative), but I need to play with it more to make a fair assessment.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs