Microsoft should be sued for what they say about Linux

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft should be sued for what they say about Linux

Postby comcamel » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:29 am

if you go here, microsoft's supposing get the facts security page, it says that their servers are more secure. Everyone knows who run linux that this is more false, than like the americans saying that global warming isn't taking place. i.e. [ the brakcets.]

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsservers ... urity.mspx

the supposing experts, talk of crap, and they are probably not linux users at all... I know within last week oscon or the society for opensource software didn't want to do a comparision.

However how can microsoft get away with these lies even if they may be slightly true, it is very biased and doesn't look at the general picture on linux servers.

As well even if there were more vunrebilities recorded in linux, most of them are reported and fixed straight away, i notice that on SuSE.

What should happen is that an anonymous advanced linux user should compare it to windows, and just do the same to them... But present actual data graphs for stuff and make it easier for people to read. As it says on one website, that you might aswell take microsoft's word, there is no one elses.
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Microsoft should be sued for what they say about Linux

Postby davecs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:27 am

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Relaaaaax dude. Everyone's heard the phrase:
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
You can make data read how you want. They could probably prove a 1980 FSO Polonez can out run Ferrari F50 is they wanted to, but no one with any sence would believe it.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:51 pm

There are more vulnerablities found in Linux source code for several reasons:
1) There is much more of it if you include apps
2) The Linux source code is published so it is easier to find them
3) Many more minor ones are found in Linux which would only affect you if you are dumb enough to run an internet server with only root access and they are compared with the major ones in Windows
4) Not al Windows vulns are published/official

At the end of the day, who has the cash to sue Microsoft who are just a marketing and legal company (with a tiny bit of software on the side). They probably could quite literally get away with murder.
I would sue PC World if I could for damaging my laptop. It came back more damaged after they 'repaired' it than before. But the same problem really, PC World/DSG are a sales and legal company that know sod all about the products they sell.
At the end of the day MS are scared, so much so that they have to strike out in this way (and many similar ways). Techies that aren't very good at their job (and there are a lot of them) do get suckered into this. Those companies will be bitten at a later date.
All we need to do is concentrate on the software we create and use, the rest will sort itself it, nothing MS can so can stop us. They could well implode as a company trying.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:13 pm

true statements, but the fact is, who would take linux's word, in my opinion even though i think it is exaggerated, computer geeks us linux... i wouldn't say that to be entirely true, but the basis is, only people who look for quite a fare information on the internet or from a friend about linux makes them believe linux is more secure.

still though, linux needs to advertise itself more, we only can hear it, in odd novell or redhat sponsered adverts. If there is nothing there for people to take against (normal people) what incentive will drive them to linux for better security linux

thanks for the articles
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:43 am

You know, This post seemed familiar when I first read it, after a quick search I remembered why :)

You've really got it in for Microsoft, haven't you Comcamel! :wink:
Flea
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:38 am

i hate using their systems but i have to... any way speak of the devil would you believe it a major exploit for internet explorer. And microsoft doesn't have a clue how they would fix it. check out eweek if you don't know.

it shows how bad their software is and this is somethign that hasn't happened before. It may help firefox get a lot more users... I hope they will put that in the news...
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:20 am

Lies/manipulations they may be ... but ... people do lap it up unfortunatly. So many folks watch Fox News and think their seeing truth.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:38 am

really it is becomign pathetic with microsoft for example wen apple release its apple mac, but forgot to put in a patent, microsoft did so and left it till a few days ago to mention that they should be payed. Things like this should be stopped.

All law now is corrupt and is becoming like on of those rebels verse law movies, i.e. starwars.
Basic principles need to be made to stop stuff like this.
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:51 am

Speaking of which, if you are a Linux/Unix fan and a starwars fan (original films) read this:
http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/sw01.html
Its getting harder to find that script now, I first read it 10 years ago.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:31 am

In resposne to you saying that Linux should advertise itself more, I wholeheartedly agree, but who has the funds to run an advertising campaign against the likes of M$? Thats where advocacy comes in, for every 10 people you tell about our beloved operating system, only 1 actually make sthe change Then that is still a step in the right direction.
It is like a small shop competing against a supermarket. Linux users like the smaller shop can provide a more 'customer' based approach. To get support on Linux you can simply check out a Forum. Whilst you can do that with M$ products, many people rely on help files.
In order to help Linux grow and fight M$ it is down to every Linux user to promote it to everyone they can, whether you are being asked for advice about drivers for a bluetooth dongle, or complaints of Malware. Promote it. It is unbelievable how many people will take an interest.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Whats required is...

Postby ggreaves » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 pm

A marketing plan for Linux and a few conferences... a catchy line backed by some stats! How about using some M$ tactics too... Please note this is all GNU/GPL :wink: here goes....

The Linux line:

"Face the Facts..."

The Stats:

"Worldwide Linux server shipments grew 61.2%...Gartner report 25 August 2004"
"Linux servers out grew legacy OSes... Gartner report 25 August 2004"

Face the Facts:

1. Why would any serious software house associate itself with Claria/Gator?
2. The most used software gets target by virus writers. Only poorly designed software allows viruses through.
3. Linux was designed backwards, security first then everything else came into place
4. M$ have only just started taking security seriously. oreillynet Preston Gralla Mar. 17, 2004
5 M$ senior VP admits M$ needs to get "the right tools" to IT managers to mitigate secrity issues cnet report March 16, 2004,
6. Bob Muglia senior VP concedes that past security problems could "have been prevented with the right tools" cnet report March 16, 2004.

M$ use one of many marketing styles. "Fill in the gaps" is always a good one. Most people would trust a name like Gartner or IDC. How many of you immediately shot off to google to pull down the above stories. The first one from Gartner ends just before Q2 but has ... to denote it carries on. The rest is just spin on various stories, each backing up a statment.
ggreaves
LXF regular

RE: Whats required is...

Postby CJLL » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 pm

One has to wonder what the right tools are, something that sends a spike of electricity through the mouse to the users brain everytime they open an e-mail attachment that is executable?

Maybe Micro$oft should rephrase that and say they shouldn't have delivered the wrong tools to users.
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

RE: Whats required is...

Postby jjmac » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:23 am

Linux is but a step away from all that stuff... I mean like, offer me 10 Million and i would think on it too, hmmmm, well, it iis like that, is it not.

But ... Mr LT and the rest of the crew do have control over the main tree at least, Were very lucky to enjoy such things really considering... dillegence (grin), ... I don't accept the accuse that its just business. It's always personal :). The few ... and we make the many ... hmmmm hope so any way.

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

WHO WANTS SECURITY WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT LAYMEN FRIENDLY

Postby jayasamraj » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:16 pm

Before you guys sue Micro$oft, you should be sued. For...

1. Using a Foot Print as your theme/logo/mark or whatever sh*t you call it. Why do you show a foot for your users??? :evil:

2. Showing a Red Hat symbol resembling a dacoit of the 19th Century. Are you planning to loot your users? :cry:

3. Still relying of type case sensitivity for all your commands. Do you want your users even to remember the type case of your commands ? :idea:

4. The most punishment should be awarded for naming your applications as gimp, gamp, gump, gemp, gomp or gnu, gnooo, gkooo, gpooo, ghooo, or gasdfl, gioaserf, gq29314, g089728951. Just give up this G. English is having enough of Gs. We just cant remember those gumps. :lol:

WHO WANTS SECURITY WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT LAYMAN FRIENDLY

Dont say you dont want Laymen to use your system. Most of the Computers in this world are used by Laymen.
jayasamraj

Next

Return to Discussion