TuxRadar.com profile

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

TuxRadar.com profile

Postby ollie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 am

How the f!@# do you edit your profile on TuxRadar.com?

It is one of the least user friendly layouts I have used in a long time. A login and logout area in the footer of the page. I've clicked on every menu item, logged out, logged in, used the search box, guessed at obvious links but there is no way to access or edit your profile.

I'm serious about the apparent decline of the Linux Format web sites with the opening of TuxRadar.com. The front page of linuxformat.com/linuxformat.co.uk has a message that a new front page will appear that is two months old. What's gone wrong at LXF Towers?
ollie

RE: TuxRadar.com profile

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:09 am

I've forgotten the password that I used on tuxradar, I've requested a reminder but still not able to login or post comments :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby jjmac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:24 am

quick --- dump all those 'shares' while you still can.

:evil:

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Perhaps it is a Future Publications thing. Digital Camera Mag has been promising a new site since Sept 2008.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby Hudzilla » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Hey!

There's no way to access or edit your profile. That's because there *is* no profile. We almost left accounts out entirely because there's there's nothing you can do with them - we don't use avatars, we don't use signatures, we don't have polls, and neither do we intend to at this time. If we let you edit your account, the only thing you'd be able to do is change your password.

As for the new LXF site, work is definitely under way - Mike is working on it full time right now, and it will be up as soon as he's done. Towy: email me and I'll set your password for you.

Despite the double bank holiday here in the UK, we've just finished the latest LXF and in a few days will finish another special edition of the magazine, this time written from scratch. I know you want more website work to happen immediately, but websites are *not* our top priority - making a kick-ass Linux magazine is our top priority.

Paul
Hudzilla
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Also, rather than just revamping the front page as I mentioned, we're switching to a new site engine that'll be cleaner and faster. We'll still have the forums, archives, blog, wiki and other content -- but the new engine will make things run smoother and give us more room to try out new ideas.

As Paul says, the mag is our #1 priority. We're only a small team and my main focus is on making the best possible LXF DVDs, so I just have small pockets of time to work on the website. But the new site is coming along well -- good things come to those who wait ;-) We should have most of it in place by the end of next week.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:10 am

I just thought there must be a profile (signature block) because of the login, so you knew who posted replies instead of 3 gazillion "Anonymous Penguins" :wink:

I know the magazine is number one priority and then the LXF Specials, but just a little bit of extra information would keep the mushrooms happy :D
ollie

Postby jjmac » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 am

Sounds exciting --- 'from scratch' definitly sounds serious ... :)

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: TuxRadar.com profile

Postby ollie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 am

jjmac wrote:Sounds exciting --- 'from scratch' definitly sounds serious ... :)

jm

:lol: - New Content Management System? New Forum Software? I'm sure Mike is totally bald trying that!
ollie

RE: Re: RE: TuxRadar.com profile

Postby jjmac » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:41 am

Best way to go --- patching up an existing file/file set, if it is large, can really end up turning into a mess. Best to just save it then rewrite, using the parts that are still considered functional from the previous.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Return to This Website