dead laptop

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dead laptop

Postby ubuntu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 pm

OK I'm really lost without my laptop, Toshiba satellite l40-139

I shut it down normally after defragging with XP ( I do normally use this with ubuntu 10.10) then when I went to switch it on the following day nothing!
I have replaced the battery with a new one and the laptop charged that; so I'm sure my adaptor is fine. when the new battery is in and the it is connected to the mains the battery is full led is on but when you press the power button absolutely nothing! the laptop doesn't work without the battery in first so I cant turn it on with just the battery in.

Plzzz help I just can't afford to get a new laptop right now.

I have googled around but not found anything that has helped. PS sorry if i am asking for advice in the wrong place

any help would be greatly appreciated :D
ubuntu

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 am

How old is it? Your first port of call would be the shop where you purchased it. If it's older then 3 years, then don't bother going to the shop, fetch a decent screwdriver instead and start undoing the screws to open it. Stick the screws to a piece of cardboard and note their position. This way you won't end up with more screws then holes :P ;) Once you got the beck removed, locate the leads to the power button. Where they are soldered to the board, short them with a screwdriver and see if the laptop boots. If it does, shut it down and remove the battery and power, then get your soldering iron out. If you get to that stage, report back with images :)

Or put it in into a repairshop, if you can't use a screwdriver ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ubuntu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 pm

thanks for your reply dutch_master it is about 4yr old. I eventually managed to take the thing apart and there doesn't seem to be any broken soldering or burnout signs around the the jack, then again the brand new battery does appear to charge. around the switch everything does seem as it should and it is not lose. I don't have a soldering iron so i'm stuck there if i need one. would removing the cmos battery make any difference? as for shorting it with a screw driver I wasn't sure just how exactly to do that. I'm annoyed because I'm sure it does work over all it just wont! looks like i will have to get a new laptop

sorry I cant give more info than that. :cry:
ubuntu

Postby Arthur_Dent » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:27 pm

When you say "nothing happens" are there any sounds from the machine - beeps? hard-drive whirring? In other words the machine is working but there is a problem with the screen - or just nothing at all?
Arthur_Dent
LXF regular

Postby ubuntu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 pm

sorry i mean no fan or hard drive reving up nothing on the screen, the only thing that happens that is normal is the green power led lights up when connected to the mains, when the battery is inserted it will charge and the led will change orange to show this. i was using my laptop as normal shut it down normaly when i finished, then when i came to use it the following day nada. no burning smell excessive heat nothing, just like i said above. just seems odd nothing obvious to atribute as the cause.

The power putton is welded solidly to the board, i have cleaned the fan and vent, the dc jack also seems to be solidly in place as do the wires leading from it to the board! out of sheer desperation i thought it could be something simple like the cmos battery, i dont think it is but if that is the case im stuffed as it is welded to its fitting.

thanks ever so much for taking the time out to reply appreciate it!
ubuntu

Return to Hardware