Parent control options for lubuntu

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Parent control options for lubuntu

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi,

I recently installed lubuntu distro from the recent LXF coverdisk earlier this year onto an old PC for my son to use for Web surfing and Paint packages (tuxpaint etc..)

However given he is 4 (5 in July) want to make sure I limit his ability to surf the internet and sites he visits but would appreciate ideas on what packages/options I have.

best regards,
Jonathan
Jonathanwri73

Postby ollie » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 am

If it is to stop accidentally going to "bad sites" I recommend using OpenDNS at the router level. You can develop a personal blocking action or just use the 3 built-in options to block sites before they even get to your network. It's simple and free which makes it ideal for home and business.
ollie

Postby chrishall57 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 am

Dansguardian might also be worth looking at for lubuntu.
http://thesignofthecross.blogspot.com
Trisquel 5.0 / Antix M11
chrishall57

Postby ollie » Mon May 09, 2011 12:08 pm

chrishall57 wrote:Dansguardian might also be worth looking at for lubuntu.

If you want a proxy server then using Squid and Squidguard is a much better option. Dansguardian is GPLv2 and there are a number of important changes being planned but the recommended blacklists are commercial. Squidguard is built to work with Shallalist which is free.

This is easily installed and configured in most current distros. I've been using this on Red Hat 8/9, SuSE 9, OpenSUSE 9/10 and Ubuntu 8.04LTS/10.04LTS for a number of years and it works great.
ollie

Postby Jonathanwri73 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not overly concerned about blocking sites as I have site blocking enabled on my router/firewall and have a list already loaded in to filter out site content.

My main need/reason is to limit the amount of time they can connect to the internet without shutting down the PC. So for example I would like to allow upto 2 hours per day they can surf the internet but am okay if they want to use packages already installed such as Tuxpaint etc..
Jonathanwri73

Postby ollie » Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Using Squid & Squidguard you can restrict times for certain PCs by IP Address or go the full hog and set up LDAP authentication for Internet access. It is quite easy to set up the IP Address restrictions with good examples as part of the documentation.
ollie

Return to Discussion