Gnome 3 vs KDE4

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gnome 3 vs KDE4

Postby pwbrum61 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 am

(dons flame-proof suit)

Was just wondering whether folks thought that Gnome 3.0 feels more "finished" than KDE 4.0 did when it first came out?

Perhaps we should call "dot zero" releases "Gamma" releases. Alpha and Beta and RC releases would, I are, I suspect, usually only be tried by enthusiasts, whereas .0 releases would be the first "in the wild" where there's more chance of bugs/flaws being picked up thanks to a wider user-base.

Going back as far as my time working with PRIMOS on PR1ME computers I've tended to avoid .0 releases of software, seeing them as being "almost, but not quite" ready for production use.
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am

That's hardly a fair comparison, because KDE always warned that 4.0 was a testing release unsuitable for general use (which is why they were still maintaining 3.5 at that time). It's a pity they didn't warn us that the same was true of 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 :(

Anyone installing 4.0 for anything but development purposes or curiosity deserved whatever happened to them.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Discussion