quick question on psu

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

quick question on psu

Postby Robert109 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

I wanna replace my psu due to a new pc build the one I have is very large if I was gonna compare it to summit its half the size of a netbooks keyboard (hinges to trackpad) and its only pumping out 30watts.
My question is 1. can i get a smaller size psu
2. the cables that attach to the mother board I asume I have to buy them seprate....ones I have are solderd into the psu
Robert109

Re: quick question on psu

Postby Rhakios » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Robert109 wrote:its only pumping out 30watts.

Really!!!???

My question is 1. can i get a smaller size psu
2. the cables that attach to the mother board I asume I have to buy them seprate....ones I have are solderd into the psu

PSUs tend to be pretty standard sizes, aimed at particular case sizes and in most of them the cables are integral. I have read of PSUs with plug in cables, but I don't recall what brand they were.
In the past I was happy to recommend Antec PSUs, but I've had two fail in recent years. Thus far, a more recent purchase of a Corsair PSU seems to be going well (two and a half years old now).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm

You can get modular psu s where you can plug in only what you need.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Robert109 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

oops i ment 300 watts
Robert109

Postby Robert109 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 pm

see the reason Im asking is my pc case is falling apart and my 3.5 hardrive is fooked plus my psu is faulty as hell

so I thought about asking my friend (he makes body kits for cars) to make me a new case something small but obv to take my motherboard and to have bays for 2.5 drives

Iv looked on the market for a new case and they all seem to be standard size I really dont have the space in my small flat to store a standard size pc and sine my mother board is fine may as well put it to use plus my friend owes me a few favours
Robert109

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 am

I'm sure he does, but given your question I'm fairly confident neither of you have any idea what you're doing... Not only does the resin-based enclosure make a serious fire-hazard, but I doubt either of you have given any consideration to airflow inside the box, cooling in general and accessibility. Note that the extreme case-modders like those on the mini-itx website use low-spec and low-power systems to keep the heat build-up in check, or design a case that provides sufficient cooling capacity to keep things safe...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Robert109 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm

ahh i see never actually thought it threw cheers for the heads up
Robert109

Return to Hardware