LinuxFormat Academy Paul Hudson

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LinuxFormat Academy Paul Hudson

Postby S4B » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 am

I have been having increasing trouble trying to follow the instructions from the tutorials and fallen at first hurdle with Project1. There seems to be a huge assumption that whoever reads understands the steps that need to be undertaken but not noted down in the tutorial for those becoming initiated in this wonderful Linux world.

Has anyone taken the trouble to flesh this out for the novices with a dedicated forum or notice board /Blogg to help us out. I desperately want to nail this understanding so I can get on with doing something exciting and developing.

Also

I have Installed on my notebook Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome Graphical interface and installed MonoDevelop which all seems to be fine but its tricky when reading some other posts to understand that something like the:- "now type this
cd ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug
produces error no such file or folder found
then reading these posts a suggestion is that this lives on the Media CD that came with the acadamy tutorial and should be pointed at as /media/ dadada!
1) I have a notebook as the development platform so I'd have to copy the CD onto a usb or external H/Drive and point and
2) why would I want to point to it externally when the MonoDevelop Run MainClass should create the ToDoList in the MonoDevelop directory as a folder to call?

I'm very confussed...Any help guidence and rational comments would be greatly appreciated.

:?
S4B

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Why post all in bold? Your message is no more important than others on this board :-) I've removed the tags. Good luck getting an answer.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Apology M

Postby S4B » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Thx for removing mistake on my part.

S4B
S4B

Postby Ram » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Look at the this image where you are creating your first Hello World program.

First empty field Name: enter ToDoList
Next field Location: Set this to where you want your projects saving to. Lets say /home/s4b/
Place a tick in the create separate solution box if not already there.
Third field should have auto populated with, ToDoList

Make a note of the where the "Project will be saved at" which should say this /home/s4d/ToDoList/ToDoList if using my examlpe.

When you open a terminal it should default to your home directory of sb4@netbook:~$ (am asumming your login ID is s4b and machine hostname is netbook), if not just do cd ~ to get to home.

Now you should be able to cd ToDoList/ToDoList/bin/Debug

As to the Live CD bit, it was meant for people running Windows (or non Ubuntu Linux distro) to be able to load the same environment that Paul was using and defaulted to using /home/user/Projects as the default project location which caused the path confusion with printed version of the Academy.
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Programming