Electronic paper monitors

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Electronic paper monitors

Postby leke » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:45 pm

As I write this, it's 00:35 and the spectrumally blue dominated light from my computer monitor is keeping my brain awake when I should be getting tired. I like reading as much as possible, but it would be good to know when my body has had it for the evening. I noticed the technology behind the electronic paper (like used in the Kindle) would be really nice to have in regular PC monitors as it doesn't use light like our current monitors do. I've googled a bit and it looks like there are plans to make colour electronic paper monitors for the PC in the future, but it's a shame one can't pick up a nice big monotone one like they are currently using in smaller devices.

Your thoughts?
leke
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 am

Judging by the results from using my Kindle, it could be a good way to go. I find I need about as much ambient light as for reading a normal book.
Biggest Kindle drawback wouldn't apply here - the limited display of pictures (free books can lack all pix), and most people would really need colour.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:11 am

I doubt it is much to do with the monitor; when people were given interesting puzzles they stayed awake for a lot longer than people who were given boring puzzles.

I know from experience that certain monitors cause eye strain quicker than others but I think the only real solution is to have the monitor switch to something boring that you are no longer interested in reading.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Hardware