Canon printer not recognised

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby leckers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 am

Hello -
I have tried 3 of the latest Linux OS's - Fedora 14, Mint 10, and PCLinux2010 - all via a Live CD install. My MFD is a Canon MP620, and this does not appear to have the necessary software available to be used on any of these Linux OS - though it does show correctly as MP620 in the hardware. I have tried several of the 'adjacent' drivers offered - MF610, for example, but without any success at all. There is not even a peep from the printer when I try a test page print. Is there a working alternative for this device?
Without being able to use the printer, I cannot use Linux! Please can anyone point me to a solution or workaround? Many thanks.
Ian
leckers

Postby PCNetSpec » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 am

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby leckers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for those 2 links. I have downloaded them and tried installing, but get a message to say 'pstocanonij' program is required...... So I did a search and have not come up with anything that I can sensibly work on... Really sorry to be so useless.
Ian
leckers

Postby PCNetSpec » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 am

Try this (for Ubuntu/Mint/Debian or any other distro that uses .deb packages):

Download the original Canon MP610 drivers (MP610_debian.tgz)from here:
http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028478.asp

Extract and install both the
cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
and
cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb
files.

Restart CUPS with:
Code: Select all
sudo service cups restart

or log off and on again.

Download the ppdMP620-630en-1.5.tar.gz file from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp610li ... -ppds-1.5/

Extract the 3 files... now copy the new cifmp610.conf file to /usr/lib/bjlib/cifmp610.conf overwriting the file that already exists.

Re-install the driver from the CUPS interface, using the new canonmp620-630en.ppd file.
See step 4 here:
http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/setup ... mp610.html
in particular, look at the bit that reads "Or if you want to use another ppd file, enter its path in the box, or click "Browse" to select the ppd file." (and point it at the new canonmp620-630en.ppd file)

======================

For distros that use .rpm packages, see the README file included in the ppdMP620-630en-1.5.tar.gz archive for where to put the cifmp610.conf file... and obviously get the original Canon drivers .rpm(s)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby leckers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 am

Well - some success! It is not the easiest process though....
I failed totally to get any Debian distro to 'see' my Canon MP620 printer after several attempts. However - I finally tried Fedora 14 and the rpm files from the Canon Europe website and followed the process of installing them into the OS I'd been given above. This time it worked absolutely fine.... I am sure it is finger trouble on my part, but damned if I know quite where?
Anyway, thank you for helping out - and I am quite happy using Fedora anyway!
IanL
leckers

Return to Hardware