Microsoft`s Kinect...

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft`s Kinect...

Postby Bazza » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 am

Hi all...

Not much impresses me technology wise as I have usually come across similar things but better in the military and professional circles.

However for a CONSUMER item this made my hairs stand up due to its inherent simplicity of (an) idea(s).

The "review" below...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming ... 010/review

Saw it at Blackpool over the WE, tried it out, and WOW this IS summat new and maybe, could, make me interested in playing games.

Decided to get one for my daughter`s boyriend for XMAS as he was drooling over it but he can`t afford one being at UNI.

And as a reply to the "review" above YES it does seem to work!

Comments...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Already hacked, full story!!!

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:43 pm

As it is USB connectivity, and, assuming MS stick to the USB protocol rigidly, it should be easy to hack. In this respect a genius would not be required.

IF, however, there are subtle, pseudo-randomly sent data packets used as encrypted, on the fly "dongles" then........ well only time will tell whether this driver is reliable or not.

It doesn`t take a genius to write into the Kinect`s "ROM" a routine that regularaly checks for MS HW and if it doesn`t see it in so many uses it shuts down the HW "permanently" requiring say a reflash of the "ROM" at worst or a complete coldboot at best.

No doubt we`ll see how MS react in the not to distant future.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:07 am

Bazza wrote:assuming MS stick to the USB protocol rigidly

ROTFLMAO
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:00 am

Hi nelz...

>> Bazza wrote:
>> assuming MS stick to the USB protocol rigidly

> ROTFLMAO

OK, OK, I guess I asked for that. But you never know, stranger things have happened. ;o]

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I've just been reading about this in this week's New Scientist, quite fascinating really. What's really interesting, however, is all the imaginative uses to which hackers have been putting the Kinect hardware, either on its own or in conjunction with other hardware controllers.
One is inclined to wonder if Microsoft is making money on the hardware sales and if so, why not just release the hardware with an open specification and let people put it to whatever use they like, while making money from lots of extra sales. Indeed, why not just stick another $25 on the price and make more money, as commodity hardware it would still be vastly cheaper than the custom-built stuff that it being used instead of.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:20 pm

And here's an interesting idea. Wrong time of year to ask for financial pledges though, in my case, otherwise I'd put something in, even if all it got me was the chance to drive a robot for 15mins.
If they got me when I was feeling flush with funds and suffering from gadgetitis (this sometimes happens around the middle of summer) I might even have stretched to a full robot's worth of contribution. Oh well.

Edit: thinking about things. If I weren't appending this to a thread about the Kinect, it really ought not to have gone in Other OS as the robot runs on fully open source software.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: Microsoft`s Kinect...

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 am

Bazza wrote:Decided to get one for my daughter`s boyriend for XMAS as he was drooling over it but he can`t afford one being at UNI.

If he's at uni then he shouldn't have the time to be messing around with Play Stations and Nintemdos and Pockymoms! The youth of today. I don't know. I'm glad they're raising the tuition fees to OVER 9000.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Mike...

Sheesh, you are a hard man.

I`m gonna put money on you playing on your Speccy whilst you were at UNI......

Jet Set Willy.
Hungry Horace.
Et al.

;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Re: Microsoft`s Kinect...

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

M-Saunders wrote:If he's at uni then he shouldn't have the time to be messing around with Play Stations and Nintemdos and Pockymoms! The youth of today. I don't know. I'm glad they're raising the tuition fees to OVER 9000.

I'm at uni and have loads of time to do nothing. Granted i'm a first year comp sci student who has done most of the stuff we're learning at the moment before

So anybody who wants to get me a kinect feel free :D

And as for the money its actually quite clever. The goverment still pays (with imaginary money) so I don't care. And when I get out of uni with my million pound a day job i start to pay back this imaginary loan with real money, thus the goverment have actually thought about the long term for once and get real money back in 5 years time
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Will wonders never cease, Microsoft finally seem to have got it, at least so far as the Kinect goes. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Other OS