Recommendations for wireless keyboards

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Recommendations for wireless keyboards

Postby cmcevoy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02 am

Any recommendations for half-decent wireless keyboards whose extra keys all work? I've had a couple of pretty good (but only part-functional) Logitech keyboards but I've just seen a comment from one of their support staff explaining that none of their keyboards support Linux 'because it is an open source OS'
Huh?
There must be some Linux friendly companies out there willing to sell me a compatible keyboard?
cmcevoy

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 am

Recommended wireless keyboards? Don't... It eats batteries like there's no tomorrow and rechargables can be empty in hours (forcing you to have several backup batteries loading in various stages of the loading process...) I know, I have a wireless set (for another machine, this one is wired ;))
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 am

I've got a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia 1.0a keyboard and mouse that I've used for a few years. I use the normal Duracell Gold top batteries which seem to last for a few months - depending on the use. Most of the "special" keys function by just specifying the keyboard model - SuSE Linux 9, Ubuntu 8.04 - 10.04. You can also specify programs to work with these keys, just by using the Preferences > Keyboard option in the menus (I'm sure that's the right option - I'm on a Windows XP system at the moment).
ollie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

Logitech ones are OK in general, and the battery life is fine.

Cheap makes eat batteries, and are susceptible to interference, infuriating if you are watching a movie and it suddenly skips forward!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 am

I'm using a Logitech EX100 which is great and the batteries haven't run out yet 5 months in :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby NoNameWill » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm

I also use the logitech keyboard and mouse. I bought the set at the time it wasn't the most expensive logitech set but in the middle. I also use the enloop rechargeables so they last awhile till I have to put fresh ones in.
NoNameWill

Postby cmcevoy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I take it, then, that there isn't a particularly Linux-friendly make that everyone else is using.
I find Logitech's stance bewindering as they also own the fairly marvellous Linux/Perl creation that is Squeezebox so they can't be all that allergic to Open Source.
I'll get a wired Logitech and see how it works.
Thanks, all.
cmcevoy

Postby NoNameWill » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm

My sons keyboard and mouse are wired logitech. They work fine. I haven't set his keyboard prefs yet and haven't found any issues from default.

Have you tried to set your preferences to Logitech?
NoNameWill

Re: Recommendations for wireless keyboards

Postby RedWillow » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:29 pm

cmcevoy wrote: I've just seen a comment from one of their support staff explaining that none of their keyboards support Linux 'because it is an open source OS'

You can always rely on support staff....

... to talk complete and utter drivel.

cmcevoy wrote:I'll get a wired Logitech

I thought you wanted a wireless. Whatever...

I have a wired Logitech and it seems fine. In gnome, in System > Preferences > Keyboard (or wherever your distro puts it) you can click on the layout tab, then on 'Keyboard model' and choose one of a number of Logitech keyboards.

By the way, if you have an Aten KVM switch, or at least the model I have, don't use a Logitech wired mouse. It goes bananas. It works fine connected to a computer directly, it's just it and the Aten don't seem to want to be friends.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Return to Hardware