Wii USB

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wii USB

Postby heiowge » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:56 am

Ok, I have a USB charger question...

I have a Kodak camera with USB charger (USB can charge from PC and there is also a plug converter so I can charge from mains). My wife has wii remote chargers that also charge from USB.

What I want to know is, can I use the same mains - USB plug with the Wii charger? They have the right sockets, but I'm just a little worried that the voltage (or something else electrical) is wrong and I might fry the charger, or worse, £70 worth of wii remotes.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am

Technically there shouldn't be any problems. If you use a particular plug/socket for a connector you should meet the specifications for that standard.

Having said that, some manufacturers don't comply with the specifications. The most notable (spectacular) that I know of was a very well known supplier who doesn't have any commercial outlets. A number of years ago they used the ATX motherboard socket/plug combo but switched a 12V pairing. So, when people purchased a new ATX standard power supply the motherboards let lots of smoke out of components. :cry:
ollie

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:48 am

I have several mains USB chargers, and countless USB devices and I happily interchange them all the time. I must admit that I've never even considered that there could be incompatibility.

The USB standard is 5v, and the charger you've got should have it's specs printed on it somewhere, so as long as it's a 5v output you should be fine.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 pm

A lot of USB chargers put out more than the 5v standard. The device they are associated with can cope with this and, indeed, may benefit from it (faster recharge). The device itself will charge from a standard USB socket (on a PC, Wii, etc) but not as fast.

The reverse may not be true. While it is safe to plug any USB chargeable device into a standard 5v USB socket, it is not safe to assume that the charger for a specific device is safe to use with another device.

Always check that the charger's output is 5v regulated DC before using it to charge something other than the device it was intended to charge.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Also, some USB chargers may struggle with a high current device.
For example, a friend used one to power an external disk drive, and it soon got very hot indeed, too hot to touch.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:28 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:and it soon got very hot indeed, too hot to touch.

yeah i have the same problem :D i'm too hot to handle, too cold to hold :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Bazza » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Oi 1sf (troll)...

> yeah i have the same problem

BO?

Oh, you are SOOO strong...

But smell ain`t everything... ;oD

Bazza, G0LCU...