Scanner problem

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Scanner problem

Postby cbuffer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 pm

I have an Epson Perfection scanner which wont work on my Fedora13 laptop. A poster to the Fedora forum told me he had solved the problem by downloading iscan from the Epson Avasys site. I have done that but the program wont install because it needs version 2.05 of C++ libraries. Fedora13 has version 4.4 installed. I'm wary of two versions causing trouble, ditto going back to an earlier version. What is the general opinion on this?

Thanks,

Ken
cbuffer

Postby ferrari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:22 am

I wouldn't normally suggest this, but have you tried something like

Code: Select all
rpm -ivh --nodeps iscan-<version>.i586.rpm
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby cbuffer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Thank you ferrari. I tried that and found that Fedora's Scanner tool was in the way. Removed everything relating to scanning/sane and tried again but installer wont accept that the earlier version exists. Looks like I'm going to have to chance installing the earlier C++ libraries that my download wants.
cbuffer

Postby ollie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Have you tried the source files (.tar.gz) and compiling them? It really isn't that hard :wink:

I have an Epson V500 PHOTO Perfection and it works fine on Ubuntu. I notice that they have separate packages for Fedora 11 or later. Did you install all three packages - iscan-data*, iscan* and iscan-plugin*?
ollie

Return to Hardware