E-Book readers/tablet computers?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

E-Book readers/tablet computers?

Postby DanteA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Hey all.

As some of you might be aware, I decided to digitize my book library, but I've run into a bit of a problem;

A desktop, laptop and netbook aren't exactly the best choices if you like to read in bed/whilst travelling. So I've looked towards a dedicated ebook reader, or better, a tablet computer for such a task;

Now I've looked, but I've found little that were suitable, here are my requirements;

Be able to accept either or both pdf/epub

Have a backlight so I can read in the dark.

Accept books outside a 'store' (preferably able to work with Calibre)

Preferablly be under £250 (or £350 if it's a tablet and can deal with video)

I've looked at the Kindle range, but I'm not too impressed by the lack of a backlight nor the remote removal feature.

The Sony line looks ok, but they are either too expensive or do odd things, like require PDF's to be put into Google Docs. :S

Whilst I'd love to get my hands on a Ubuntu tablet, it seems like it's barely out of the rumor stage. :/
DanteA

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Wait until October-ish?
No clue on prices there though. Given the price of Android phones, I'd expect it to be in the £350-£450 range.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:00 pm

I have a Sony e-reader and it handles most formats via Calibre. It can't cope with complex PDFs, like the LXF magazine pages, but plain text works fine. The e-ink display of e-readers is much easier on the eye than the LCD display of a tablet/netbook, and far easier on the battery too. However, it is like real paper in more than one respect, it works best in decent light. Sony do a "de luxe" case for their e-readers that has reading lights either side of the screen.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby DanteA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm

I take it it dosent have a backlight? How much did it cost and, lastly, you say it's incapable of dealing with a complex PDF, and you refer to the LXF mag, but is it capable of dealing with say, a scanned book? (basically just an image) or a pdf thats mostly text and a few images?
DanteA

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:32 pm

It doesn't have a backlight. If you look at how e-ink works, you'll understand that that isn't currently possible.

Plain text and a few images is fine, but multi-column layouts with images spanning columns is a no-no. It was about £150 and O'Reilly keep coming up with two for one offers on ebooks, which now means I have four times as many books as I have time to read instead of double :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby DanteA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:01 am

Hmmm, well, if e-ink does not work with backlights (kind of obvious, actually, considering what it is :P) this does sound like my kind of device!

I'm hoping that image only PDFs (scanned books; really just an image a page) will be fine (though I'd appreciate it if you could confirm that)

So, what model is it and where can I get one? :P All the ones I've seen seem to be around the £230 mark

Thanks.
DanteA

Return to Hardware