Apple must be doing summat right....

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby M-Saunders » Tue May 25, 2010 9:21 am

jamie_tickner wrote:I still don't know what purpose an iPad would serve!!

A very, very easy to use and locked-down internet/media device. Perfect for my parents for example, for whom the vast complexity of "normal" computers is an endless problem. I'd have no problems whatsoever with my folks downloading any app from the App Store -- if they get stuck, just press the Home button.

It's totally foolproof, and good that it is tightly controlled and locked down. Could you give your parents the same freedom on desktop Linux, the freedom to install anything they want in Synaptic? Breakage and trouble is just minutes away!

For many people who aren't interested in the complexity of computers, the file system and windows and close buttons and recycle bins and packages and the like, the iPad provides more freedom -- more freedom to use the internet, enjoy media and try software without complexity or breakage. I think this is really important when we talk about the definition of 'freedom'.

Of course, I'd rather it was technologically free as well; I hope we'll see some awesome Linux tablets to compete with or surpass the iPad. A free-as-in-freedom, Linux powered tablet with the ease-of-use and unbreakability of the iPad would be the best thing on the planet. We can hope!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Sounds like you need that crippled linux that used to come with the Acer Ones. :lol:
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 pm

CJLL wrote:Sounds like you need that crippled linux that used to come with the Acer Ones. :lol:

Been there, done that :-) It's slightly easier than full-on desktop Linux, but still with too much "computeriness" -- too much complexity poking up from under the GUI. I'm intrigued to see how webOS on the HP Slate will fare, as it has Linux goodness inside but with a proper UI designed from the ground-up for mobile and touch computing.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Tue May 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi Mike...

This is probably a stupid question but is that Palm`s WebOS?

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby External_Floppy » Tue May 25, 2010 11:25 pm

It's totally foolproof, and good that it is tightly controlled and locked down. Could you give your parents the same freedom on desktop Linux, the freedom to install anything they want in Synaptic? Breakage and trouble is just minutes away!

With that comment and Paul Hudson's (TwoStraws) constant 'tweeting' about iPod/iPads I can't help but think you guys are taking one in the ...er 'pocket' from Apple. :)
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
External_Floppy

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed May 26, 2010 7:45 am

M-Saunders wrote:
CJLL wrote:Sounds like you need that crippled linux that used to come with the Acer Ones. :lol:

Been there, done that :-) It's slightly easier than full-on desktop Linux, but still with too much "computeriness" -- too much complexity poking up from under the GUI. I'm intrigued to see how webOS on the HP Slate will fare, as it has Linux goodness inside but with a proper UI designed from the ground-up for mobile and touch computing.

M

But Javascript as its core dev language.

That is just so choc-full of wrongness.

I see Dell are trying to hop onto the tablet bandwagon with this:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8692451.stm

Given that its screen resolution is identical to most recent Android phones (WVGA 800x480), I fail to see the benefit of carrying something bigger that fails to give your more screen real-estate.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:
I see Dell are trying to hop onto the tablet bandwagon with this:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8692451.stm

Given that its screen resolution is identical to most recent Android phones (WVGA 800x480), I fail to see the benefit of carrying something bigger that fails to give your more screen real-estate.

Altogether not much different to Nokia N810. Some people have said they don't fancy reading ebooks on the iPad, from my experience of the N800 and N810, you certainly won't want to be reading anything on a tablet that small.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby DaveS » Thu May 27, 2010 5:26 am

Apple (Jobs) just concentrated on 'cool'. Of course, if the stuff actually works too, it becomes a world beater. There are lessons there for all of us, but it is also worth remembering that in time there is always a NEW cool. Be interesting to see if Apple can re-invent itself again when that time comes..........
Mostly Minty with a dash of Puppy......
DaveS

Postby M-Saunders » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 am

DaveS wrote:Apple (Jobs) just concentrated on 'cool'.

No they didn't. They concentrated a lot on making a very good interface and experience for mobile internet and media consumption. I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy, as Apple certainly does some things wrong and I prefer freedom, but the iPad is a very well crafted piece of kit, and opens up (albeit limited!) computing to many more people.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby DaveS » Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

M-Saunders wrote:

No they didn't. They concentrated a lot on making a very good interface and experience for mobile internet and media consumption. I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy, as Apple certainly does some things wrong and I prefer freedom, but the iPad is a very well crafted piece of kit, and opens up (albeit limited!) computing to many more people.

M

Oh please dont make the assumption that my feeling is that Apple products are trendy rather than functional. My point is only to say that in todays markets, fashion is hugely important.
Mostly Minty with a dash of Puppy......
DaveS

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu May 27, 2010 12:04 pm

M-Saunders wrote:

M

That probably applies quite well to the iPhone, but the iPad is just too big (9.5" x 7.5" x .5"), so, apart from its slim depth, is no more "mobile" than most netbooks.

And you can do a damn sight more with a netbook than you can with an iPad.

I "get" the iPhone. I can see its use, particularly when it was the only kid on the block. The iPad is a solution looking for a problem. Its too big to be a mobile device and too limited for anything non-trivial. Its techno-bling, a toy for the look at meeeee generation.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:And you can do a damn sight more with a netbook than you can with an iPad.

It's not about doing "more". It's about doing certain things very well. It's about focusing on the things people spend 95% of time doing, rather than trying to awkwardly squeeze in every feature under the sun, and making the device complex and cumbersome as a result.

AndyBaxman wrote:The iPad is a solution looking for a problem.

No it isn't. I've already explained that it looks perfect for my computer-illiterate parents; they want to browse the web, view media and try new programs without the risks and complexity of "full" computers. They can install any program they want, knowing it won't change how their system works, and they can get straight back to square 1 with the home button. Totally failsafe and foolproof. You can't say that about installing software on Win/Lin/OS X.

Then there are geeks who want a fast, slim web browsing device without pokey little trackpads and keyboards. I've only used it briefly, but full-screen touch-screen web browsing feels fantastic.

AndyBaxman wrote:Its techno-bling, a toy for the look at meeeee generation.

Er, so Apple launches a wildly popular new tablet computer after extensive market research. Then some random guy on an internet forum dismisses it as a "toy". I think Apple's research team know a lot more about the market :-)

This thing will be enormously successful. (And no, I don't plan to buy one yet -- maybe at Christmas.) Almost everyone on the net who dismisses the iPad makes the same fundamental mistake: just because you don't understand it or have a need for it, doesn't make that the same for other people.

I don't have a need for one yet. But I can see why people love it, and why it'll be a success. Anyone saying this is a fad, flop, toy etc. has no understanding of the wider market, and will have egg on their face when Apple makes $billions from it. This tends to happen with all new Apple products :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 pm

M-Saunders wrote:... it looks perfect for my computer-illiterate parents; they want to browse the web, view media and try new programs without the risks and complexity of "full" computers. They can install any program they want, knowing it won't change how their system works, and they can get straight back to square 1 with the home button. Totally failsafe and foolproof. You can't say that about installing software on Win/Lin/OS X.

M

I agree that the iPad looks like a good solution for your parents ... when it has a HD screen and you work out a way to play Flash content.
ollie

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 pm

M-Saunders wrote:I've already explained that it looks perfect for my computer-illiterate parents

I'm not convinced... smacks a bit of holding them back because of an idea that you have about their ability to learn anything new.

Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?

Surely helping them learn would be the best way forward.

I have nothing against the iPad, if that is what people "want" but I would definitely point out its limitations and explain the benefits of a full blown system.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

PCNetSpec wrote:Would you make them walk everywhere because a car is "far too complex" and may be broken?

That's not a sensible response. If you're going to deliver a letter a few doors up the road, you don't take your car. It's about using the right tool for the job, not using the thing with the most features just because it has the most features.

If someone wants to do tasks A, B and C, give them the best machine to do those tasks.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS